Canon; what would you recomend

Vote for which one you'd recomend (for those who are to lazy to write a comment)

• Canon EOS 10D

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Canon EOS 20D

• Canon EOS 30D

Votes: 6 85.7%
  • Canon EOS 300D

• Canon EOS 350D

• Canon EOS 400D

• None of the above *scoff scoff

Votes: 1 14.3%

• Total voters

Studio boy

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Ok so i'm investing in my first DSLR. i have decided to run with Canon -However which model is begging to give me a headache-

the short list is as follows;
-Canon EOS 10D
-Canon EOS 20D
-Canon EOS 30D
-Canon EOS 300D
-Canon EOS 350D
-Canon EOS 400D

^^ as you can see there are really just two choices but my real questıon is getting value for my monies. plus i need something that can take a good knock as i will be taking one the lucky contestants with me on my motorbike across Europe.

all the 350, 400, 20 & 30 have uprated chips that run faster and a slightly bigger display screen. they are all above 6MP.

anyway i would love to hear your opinions bearing in mind it is value that i2m after, the question is are the newer models worth the extra chash

thanks Chums,

Studio Boy

I wouldn't bother with the 10D or the 300D.
The 20D was a big step up from the 10D and is still a good camera, a little old though. The 30D is just a 20D with some small upgrades. If you can get a good deal on one, it might be worth it, if you put the savings into a good lens.

Personally, I'd recommend a 40D. It was a pretty good upgrade from the 30D, and since the 50D and now 7D are out, the 40D should be a good bargain.

In order:
30D
20D
400D
350D

All budget dependant of course. If you could get a 40D, its a nice upgrade from the 30D. If you are investing in a camera and a camera system, the major part of your investment should be in the lens and not the body. The body is important, but not as much as the lenses.

I would try and stay away from the Rebel line (xxxD) if you can. They are good consumer cameras, but I find they lack for professional use. So if you plan on shooting somewhat semi-pro, then the xxD are the way to go.

The 50D may still be high in price, will go down a bit when the 7D comes out. The 40D would be the best choice.

You're going to be buying a used Canon since all of those are out of production already.

30D is the best of that bunch.

30D from the list. Or 40D if you can find one in good price.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=6304687408656696643&hl=enSteve Balmer "Developers"

The 40D may be "discontinued" but you can still find it new if you hunt around. For example, in Toronto:

Canon EOS 40D w/EF-S 17-85mm f/4.0-5.6 IS USM Lens Digital SLR Camera 1901B011 - Vistek Canada Product Detail

Admittedly, I bought mine in February for CAD$1180, making it the best photographic bargain at the time.

Richard
40D, 17-85mm, 70-300mm, 100mm f/2.8 macro, 10-22mm
BG-E2N
Cameron (aka Marumi) DRF14 Macro Ring Flash
Lowepro Fastpack 250
Lowepro EX180
Tamrac System 3
(planned: Induro C-014 carbon tripod)

Last edited:
Well well well.. I am shocked at the fact of no one telling you that the lens matters more than the body
What wil lyou be shooting? i presume landscapes and family / friend portraits?
you should buy a 20D (can get them for about £200 - £300 in good nik)
and get a 28-70mm L usm which is... £700 I think.
this way your set for almost anything
and if your really wanting to get the full range of the spectrum buy the 70-300mm Too which is about £350 - 400

this is based on new prices, used will be considerbly cheaper, can get a used 70-300 for about £200
im not sure about the 28-70 tho.

it sounds allot (at the high end of the prices i provided, ) £300 + £ 700 + + £350 = £1350 / $1500?
but it is actually conciderably cheap for photography
if your just taking snapshots, I would consider a P&S E.g. Canon Ixus

You will also need SD cards, Possibly a tripod (dont get a rubbish one - manfrotto is good way to go, but is about £80 for a decent tripod + head)
and a few other odds and ends.

Admittedly, I bought mine in February for CAD$1180, making it the best photographic bargain at the time.

Richard
40D, 17-85mm, 70-300mm, 100mm f/2.8 macro, 10-22mm
BG-E2N
Cameron (aka Marumi) DRF14 Macro Ring Flash
Lowepro Fastpack 250
Lowepro EX180
Tamrac System 3
(planned: Induro C-014 carbon tripod)

OMFG!!! and they were all in mint condition??? :O :O
man! I wish I could find good deals like that :D

I wouldn't recommend any of those Rebel series dslrs I mean sure they are quite a bit smaller and less of a burden to carry around but they are a lot less user friendly and have a lot less features than the 40D and have much worse high ISO performance.

Last edited:
I wouldn't recommend any of those Rebel series dslrs I mean sure they are quite a bit smaller and less of a burden to carry around but they are a lot less user friendly and have a lot less features than the 40D and have much worse high ISO performance.

I'm not sure I agree with that. The Rebels have pretty much the same IQ and high ISO performance as the xxD. It's not until you go up to the 5D/5DII that you see a marked improvement.

In fact, I would've purchased the less expensive Rebel were it not for the fact that it didn't feel comfortable in my hands and the build quality was too plasticky. The clincher was the larger and brighter (pentaprism) viewfinder of the 40D -- gotta love that.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back