Canon wide angle zoom lens

Jad

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
johndoddato.blogspot.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I am looking to buy a new wide angle lens for my Canon 5D11. I have been thinking about the 17~40mm f4. I might consider the 16~35mm f2.8 as well. If you own one of these lenses, what is your opinion.

I've heard good things about the Tokina 11-16mm f/2.8.

I have the 16-35 II and I love it. IMO it's not worth paying twice the price of the 17-40, though, unless you really need the extra stop of aperture. Especially on a full-frame sensor. Another thing is that the 16-35 takes a much larger, more expensive filter (82mm vs the standard 77mm), if that matters to you.

I've got the 17-40mm F4 L. It's a good solid lens.

From what I've seen & heard, the 16-35mm F2.8 II L, is a 'better' lens in many (but not all) aspects...but the price difference is the killer. The 17-40mm gives you a lot more value for your dollar. So unless you really, really need that extra stop, the 17-40mm will probably be a very good choice.

I have the 17-40L and love it!! if you go to Amazon the 17-40L has twice as many reviews as the 16-35L. which to me says that there are a lot of other who thought the 17-40L is a winner. but heck YMMV

I have always bought Canon but I would consider another brand if it s equal to the "L" series of Canon. I might also consider a fixed 20mm lens as well over the zoom.

You can't use the Tokina -- that's a crop-frame lens (like a Canon EF-S lens). It wont mount on a 5D body.

I have always bought Canon but I would consider another brand if it s equal to the "L" series of Canon. I might also consider a fixed 20mm lens as well over the zoom.

You can't use the Tokina -- that's a crop-frame lens (like a Canon EF-S lens). It wont mount on a 5D body.
That is a good point. I certainly don't want a lens that is not suitable for a full frame camera. The Canon 17~40 f4 L is probably the one I will go with. It has a sale price on it this month. I really don''t need a fast lens for landscape photography.

Most reactions

Back