CANON XSI and T2i Buffer Time

JLBA14

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
hey guys, was wondering if anyone could figure this out

didnt spend too much time researching about it and figured posting it on this site, i might get more specific answers. anyhow.

I own a Canon XSI and T2i. when i was taking long shutter exposure pictures on my T2i. i noticed that i had to wait a bit before i could see my picture and that red buffer light was on, so i knew it was trying to load the picture. this happens ONLY on long exposures

i went back on my XSI the older camera. and i did the same exposure. using the same memory card. class 6. but i got my picture right away.

is it becuase my XSI is 12MP censor and takes much less time, compared to the 18MP censor on my T2i. but doesnt the T2i have a faster processor to compensate for the 18MP?

example.

T2i- 3 Second long EXPOSURE- 3 second wait time
XSI- 3 Second long EXPOSURE- less than a second wait time.

btw. this can throw off my timing for time lapse photos? cuz it takes time to load the picture before it can take the next one.

thanks guys! :mrgreen:

Last edited:
Perhaps in your t2i you activated noise reduction on long exposure, which doubles the time.

As enzodm pointed out it's because the long exposure noise reduction is turned on.

You can find the settings at "custom functions" section 4.

It also depends on the SD card you have.

It might be the time it takes for the camera to write to the SD card. I have an XSI and I had this problem. I got an Sandisk Extreme SD card and it got much better. I think the fastest the XSI could write to a card is 15mbps p/s so don't get a faster (more expensive one).

Attached is a link that shows the write times to different SD cards and different formats for the different camera models (canon, nikon, sony, etc...). I don't know how exact it is, but it's all I could find.

Rob Galbraith DPI: Canon EOS Rebel XSi/450D

That is true, however. long exposure noise reduction does double the time. 8 second shutter, 8 seconds to "reduce noise". I think the feature sucks. I'd rather do a noise reduction in photoshop.

Danny

It also depends on the SD card you have.

It might be the time it takes for the camera to write to the SD card. I have an XSI and I had this problem. I got an Sandisk Extreme SD card and it got much better. I think the fastest the XSI could write to a card is 15mbps p/s so don't get a faster (more expensive one).

Attached is a link that shows the write times to different SD cards and different formats for the different camera models (canon, nikon, sony, etc...). I don't know how exact it is, but it's all I could find.

Rob Galbraith DPI: Canon EOS Rebel XSi/450D

That is true, however. long exposure noise reduction does double the time. 8 second shutter, 8 seconds to "reduce noise". I think the feature sucks. I'd rather do a noise reduction in photoshop.

Danny

He said "using the same memory card". Read the OP when you post.

Best guess is, like others have said, long exposure noise reduction.

Danny

it is a different kind of noise reduction. The in-camera version is made with real data in the same conditions, not with a purely statistical approach. You may disable it if you do not like it ;) .

Most reactions

New Topics

Back