Photos NOT OK to edit
I was looking at getting started in the wedding photography business
my current setup:
xti body
canon 70-300 F 3.5-5.6 usm is
canon 24-70 F2.8L
canon 50mm F1.8
canon 430 ex flash

my main question is do you think the xti body does a good enough job or should i look at picking up something a little higher end?

The XTi body is capable of great images, so that's not an issue. It's maybe not as sturdy as a higher end body, so that might be a concern. I don't know how easy it is to adjust settings like aperture, shutter speed, ISO, exposure compensation, flash exposure compensation etc. A higher end camera might have a button for quick access where an entry level camera may need you to go into the menus.

You will absolutely need a back up camera though...so in that sense, you will need more than just your XTi.

Your 70-300 lens might be useful if you are shooting outdoors in plenty of light. Otherwise, the max aperture is just too small for wedding work. Look at a 70-200 F2.8 L IS.
Your 24-70 F2.8 L is a great lens.
The 50mm F1.8 is adaquite.

You seem to be missing a wide lens...something that starts in the the 17/18mm range.

The 430EX flash is good, the 580EX is better. You will need a back up flash.

the 24-70 is really the only len to use or mabye the 50. The bggest thing you need to remember is as others have said if you do a wedding and do not have a backup you are asking to be sued. If your camera fails in the moddle of a wedding you need to get right back in without missning a neat. Going by the list you showed you really need othher lenses but your biggest need right now is another body.

thanks mike

I know I need to pick a back up body
just didnt know what i wanted really
wether it be another xti or a 30d or 40d
the xti body is dropping in price and is about half what the 40 d body costs

also feel free to give a list of lenses that you would suggest using

You might want to look into a used 20D. You can find them for a pretty good price and they are very good cameras. From what I hear if its between the 20D and 30D the 20D is a better value but if it's with the 40D then the 40D for sure. I haven't used either one tho. I've shot as an assistant using a rebel xt and have been very happy.

A 70-200 f/2.8 L would be good or even the sigma version if you can't afford the canon. But something longer and faster then your current.

For the crop cameras, the 'Ultimate Wedding Kit' would be the EF-S 17-55 F2.8 IS & the 70-200 F2.8 L IS. Then throw in the EF-S 10-22mm for wide angle stuff and a fast prime like the 35mm F1.4 L or the 50mm F1.4.

The 24-70 F2.8 L, is a fantastic lens...but it's kind of an awkward focal length on these cameras. 24mm just isn't wide enough.

In addition, you might want to look into a Stroboframe and a flash diffuser.

found an awsome deal at a local shop here yesterday

canon 30D with the 24-135 IS USM lens for 949.00
so Of course I bought it

That a 28-135mm lens, isn't it?

Sounds like a good deal.

Xti is perfectly capable... as said before, backup bodies! I have 3 bodies I bring with me. You will want backup a backup flash as well. The 70-300 will be ok for day, outdoor weddings, but will not be fast enough for some churches/ receptions. as said before, the 24-70L and the 70-200 IS 2.8 are the two lenses I use. fantastic but pricey. You could also look into the 17-55 2.8 IS. Been thinking about getting one to throw on my XTi. GL.

found an awsome deal at a local shop here yesterday

canon 30D with the 24-135 IS USM lens for 949.00
so Of course I bought it

28-135 IS?

or 24-105L IS?

that price seems WAY to high for the 28-135, and about right for the 24-105L f4. Where did you buy it... making sure you didnt get ripped off.

that price seems WAY to high for the 28-135, and about right for the 24-105L f4. Where did you buy it... making sure you didnt get ripped off.
I think he said that he got the camera plus that lens, for that price...which isn't bad. The 24-105 L IS, alone is about that much.

I think he said that he got the camera plus that lens, for that price...which isn't bad. The 24-105 L IS, alone is about that much.

Oh ok, that makes more sense... I thought he was referring to the lens alone. :)

Most reactions

Back