Canon XTi - First SLR

jondele

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
hey guys, im new here, been reading post after post in the beginners section.

i will be purchasing a canon XTi as my first SLR (body only). and ive been shopping around for what lenses i should start off with. will this be a good lense for basic shots?

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/423941-REG/Tamron_AF77015C_28_80mm_and_55_200mm_LD.html

i think they are too slow, but since im a first timer, will it be sufficient enuf? also if theres something better thats a couple of hundred more, ill be more than willing to spit out the cash.

For under $100, I would definitely recommend the nifty fifty (look in my signature), but then you are kind of limited because you won't have any zoom capabilities.

My absolute FAVORITE lens of choice is my 28-135 IS lens. It's about $450-$500 but I could not live without it. And, I don't think I will ever buy a zoom lens without the Image Stabilizer again. It's a superb piece of glass!

It all depends on what you intend to be photographing. Those lenses will do fine if you mostly shoot outdoors, and no night time/low light sports.

But I agree with the 50mm 1.8 Anita suggested, it's incredibly handy to have and a good lens to learn on.

I would also recommend the 18-55 f/1.8 by Canon. It depends on what you are shooting but this lens is good for basic pics. I have good luck with it especially indoors taking pics of my kids.

With that lens (the Tamron) it would be REALLY hard to get a good pic inside. At least it is for me.

Imgfascination, I was looking at your signature and my kit lens that came with the XTi (400d) only has f/3.5-5.6. Where did you get yours?

Imgfascination, I was looking at your signature and my kit lens that came with the XTi (400d) only has f/3.5-5.6. Where did you get yours?
I believe he's just listing the min/max aperture of the lens, not the max aperture between zoom ranges.

I'd like to know when the 18-55 became f/1.8. ;) I think they're confused between the 50mm prime and the kit lens :)

This is exactly what I was asking. Did you read my previous post??

there is no 18-55 1.8...lol. It's 3.5-5.6 only.
but I would recommend the 50 1.8.
It's a shame they don't give that lens to you as the kit lens...lots more nice pics would turn up...

Most reactions

New Topics

Back