Need help choosing a dslr camera.

take this camera
Canon EOS 5D Mark III DSLR Camera (Body Only) 5260B002 B&H Photo
slap on this lens
Zeiss Normal 50mm f/1.4 ZE Planar T* Manual Focus Lens 1677-817

My focus is people. not portraits, but people living life.

This Zeiss is not the best option for a traveling beginner. It has a manual focus only and an awkward aperture ring, you will be struggling. Zeiss glass generally is great, and the built quality is very high, but saying this lense is vastly superior is an exaggeration. It is soft wide open and about the same optical quality as modern Nikon 1.4. Since you will not want to shoot wide open with either of these two, I would go for Nikon 1.8, it is cheap like chips and more than good enough for any beginner. I loved this little lense. Or if you want higher quality, you will need to pay high dollar. I am shooting with FUJI 56 1.2 now and THIS is a smashing glass.

I have been shopping around to get my first dslr camera, but now the time has come when I have to make a decision and I don't know what to do. So here is a list of my needs, wants, and questions.

I am going to be using the camera to document a trip around the globe. I'm going to need the ability to take photos of people, building, scenery, wildlife, ect.

ruggedness is a plus, but I get that a camera is a sensitive piece of equitment.

I want to use prime lenses, I am thinking 2-3 of them should work?

The less weight the better. I'm going to be doing a ton of backpacking.

I would like to keep the entire package (camera, lenses, bag, ect) $1500 or less. Could stretch to $2500 though (cuts into other stuff I need[want] for trip).

I don't need all the bells and whistles, and I will have plenty of time to (try to) master the camera, so I would prefer a camera setup that is hard to use but has greater capabilities, rather than a camera that is easy to use but lacks capabilities. (I'll take both if possible)

I want a camera where if I was good enough that Natl. Geo. would be able to use them.

So I see cameras like these,
Canon EOS Rebel SL1 DSLR Camera Body Kit with EF 40mm f/2.8 STM
Pentax K-3 DSLR Camera with 50mm Lens Kit B&H Photo Video
and I wonder, what is difference between them, and this
Canon EOS 5D Mark III DSLR Camera (Body Only) 5260B002 B&H Photo
yeah, I assume that the more expensive one is better, but if I get really good can I almost match photo quality with the cheaper ones?

Assuming I'm the most amazing photographer in the world, could a cheaper camera with a high quality prime lens match a more expensive camera with all the doodads?

I know there are probably a ton of posts that cover similar things to my questions, but I'm leaving on my trip in less than 72 hours, so I don't really have time to figure everything out. I was planning on throwing all these questions on a friend last minute, but they won't have time till it's too late.

You are new to DSLR's. You don't say how new you are to photography. Assuming this will be your first "serious" camera, you don't need bells and whistles, they will only get in the way. You'll be so consumed with settings and features you can easily miss the shot you really should be taking. Buy complete, not elaborate.

The Canon SL1 is, IMO and that of many others, a great choice for backpackers due to its overall size and weight. Functionally, it will do everything its more expensive brethern/sistern/cousins and kin will do except you will not always have an extra button to push to achieve the result. The SL1 is as adept at photography as the more elaborate Canon consumer level DSLR's but sometimes hides its most infrequently used functions in a menu. They are there but you will likely need to set up the camera for a day's work before you begin snapping 200 shots of a bear s******g in the woods. That is easy work given the customized settings, the my menu option and the custom photo menus. You won't miss a thing with the SL1. Certainly nothing a student photographer would need and even more experienced shooters will find the SL1 satisfying to use.

It's exceptionally easy to accomplish set up on the SL1 by using the camera's touch screen system. The controls and features you will use and need as a student photographer are all available at the touch of an icon on the screen which makes them more accessible to the average student than they are with a more expensive camera using a traditional menu system.

The SL1 is the equal of any of the Canon consumer level DSLR's when it comes to image quality - certainly for any student with their first DSLR. There really is nothing a more expensive Canon can do in the consumer line up that can't be done with the SL1 other than weigh you down and take up space. The very small differences between the image quality in the various DSLR's from Canon can more than sufficiently be eliminated by a wise choice of post processing software. Save your money on the body (and on your back) with the lightweight SL1 then put the balance of your cash into the stuff you will need to go with your new DSLR. IMO you will not regret the decision and, even if you upgrade as you progress in photography, the SL1 will be a valuable tool to have.

The same can be said for Nikon's D3300 other than the size and weight data. These two leading camera manufacturers have been at this for decades and are not holding back quality when it comes to cash strapped buyers. That makes either choice even better when you have a bit of extra to spend.

It would be very difficult, IMO, for most non-professional photographers to tell any difference in image quality between the baseline models and the top o'the line models from either company. Either company offers exceptionally wide selections of lenses and accessories to fit any level of user. Both pre-owned and third party lenses and accessories are available in abundance for either brand. Tutorials and tips and such are all over the web and books have been written for either line.

Literally, even the most basic student photographer will have to be deaf, dumb and blind (not a good thing for a photographer) to not take good to phenomenal photos with either line's baseline gear.

If you buy either the SL1 or the D330, the difference between cameras will be more than made up for in your post processing software. Digital cameras must be processed to be seen or printed. The difference between, say, Picasa and Adobe Lightroom software will be much greater than the difference between a Nikon and a Canon. Choose your camera and your software according to what feels and handles the way you prefer. There are too many good choices available today to go very far off base.

A good monitor will be of great use with either camera and a printer with sufficient resolution to make a few prints at home will be the icing on a very sweet cake.

Do not think you can simply buy a camera today and be set.

You will need items to complement your new camera. The better quality gear doesn't have to cost an arm and a leg any more than the camera should but you will need to invest in those items which must be acquired in order to see just how good a photographer you can be - or to sell your photos to NG.

Prime lenses are great choices if you're after image quality. They are compact in size and weight and a few can do you one weeks' long trip. I would stick with the manufacturer of your camera and you can be assured of great quality and complete functionality between ens and camera body.

Most prime lenses are inexpensive enough that, once you figure them out, you can turn out great images at a very reasonable cost. Do your homework but, IMO, you could do your entire trip with a Canon 24mm and a 50mm prime and still have room left over in your travel kit.

What you will miss from this set is a zoom. The good news is, you can zoom with your software, it's called cropping. Big boy "photogs" will poo-poo this way to achieve an image but for you and me, it gets the job done and no one is the wiser.

The very good news is either camera is available with a "kit lens" that is exceptionally good and can easily rival the primes when used wisely. Buy either camera with the basic lens and, in the long run, even if you opt out of taking it with you on this trip, you will not regret the purchase.

As an aside, either manufacturer has an on line site selling refurbished cameras and lenses at reduces prices. I do not encourage the student to take up a local shop's time and inventory doing auditions and then screwing the local by buying on line but the on line sites offer good values and include warranties.

If you take up a local shop's time - other than those big box stores where help is questionable to non-existent - spend your money with the locals. They will be a great source for after the sale assistance and, if you don't support them, they won't be there next time.

Most of all avoid buy grey market gear just to save a few bucks. If you do not understand what grey market is, do your homework.

Once again, put your money into the most cost effective gear and learn how best to use it to your advantage. The rest is simply diminishing returns for higher and higher prices.

Put the savings into an awesome travel experience and bring home shots most people wouldn't have even seen.

DPReview Gear of the Year: Canon Rebel SL1 / EOS 100D

"If you already have a preference for Canon, the Canon SL1 is even a little bit smaller and equally excellent. The differences between the SL1 and D3300 are a matter of which fits your hands better or which has controls or menus that you personally might find more convenient"; Recommended Cameras

The one alternative you might consider if space and weight are really at a premium is one of the "enthusiast" quality compacts. I carry a Canon S110 with me daily just because it fits in my pocket and I believe the old saying "the best camera is the one you have with you".

Sony leads the field in this category (cough, cough) but, personally, I'll stick with my Canon as I prefer the colors it turns out. Several companies make such compacts with all the versatility of a DSLR save the interchangeable lens systems. IMO they're great choices for the newbie student photographer and even more so for travelling very light.

Don't get too hung up on reviews or specs. The camera will take as good a photo as you can manage at this point.

Last edited:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back