Canon's lovely new recall!

Sub'd for some of the links.

Despite the pointless banter. Any company that sells a product to a customer either has a warranty claim, a recall or service bulliten in its life time.

o hey tyler said:
If I recall, it wasn't really on Canon... It was an issue with the rubber supplier. I wouldn't be one to hold a manufacturing company accountable for an inaccuracy on the end of a supplier. Sure, Canon is left holding the bag and has to correct the mistake free of charge, which SUCKS for them. But, they don't manufacture the rubber in-house, so you can't get too angry at them (at least I can't). It happens all the time, lots of companies have to recall stuff because of a supplier's screw up.

The rubber manufactural got the chemical imbalance slightly. When combined with the plastic from the camera and human sweat this CAN cause a reaction. It's not a sure thing that the rubber will turn and the odds of an allergic reaction are also only nominal but it still becomes a safety concern

I dunno why the big fuzz. I think 650D's with white rubber grips and big white L lenses look hawt.

I've only had my Canon T4i for less than 2 weeks and just found out that it is one of the models with the defective grips. This really irks me and I'm wondering if I should wait until I am getting noticable discoloration on the grips before I send it off? What do you think?

Also, I only found out from this site about the problem grips and have no idea how to send it or where to send it to. Advice please...

I've only had my Canon T4i for less than 2 weeks and just found out that it is one of the models with the defective grips. This really irks me and I'm wondering if I should wait until I am getting noticable discoloration on the grips before I send it off? What do you think?

Also, I only found out from this site about the problem grips and have no idea how to send it or where to send it to. Advice please...

Why don't you go check Canon's website? I've had nothing but good experiences with them. They repaired my 7D and had it back to me for free in under 5 business days.

Sent from my Galaxy S III

Though it may "irk" you, EVERY company will have a problem with their products sooner or later (and most have lots of problems.) All the other camera companies also have their issues.

In some cases, the company sits in denial... because a single consumer can't really do much about it. This has to wait until enough consumers boil over that someone tries to get an attorney to take on the case as a class action. In those scenarios, the attorney wins (they get their legal fees) and everyone else gets some "settlement" -- usually in the form of some coupon for an absurdly tiny amount of money and ONLY valid toward future purchase of a product. But the value of the settlement very seldom sufficient to get the company to fix the problem - but hey, the attorney got paid. Surely you would not have preferred that scenario (not unless you're the attorney who made all the money.)

Frankly I would be happy for two reasons:

1) The defect in no way impacts the function of the product nor does it impact the quality of the images.

2) Canon owned up to the problem without a fuss and is making things right for the consumer at no cost to the consumer (other than the inconvenience of not having a camera for a few days.)

Sure it would be nice if Canon had never had the problem at all, but keep in mind, Canon doesn't make the grips. Canon is only guilty of using the grips. Unfortunately, the defect is such that it wont be discolored right away... it takes a while. So Canon would have no way of knowing this was going to happen. Had their specs been followed and had the batch of rubber had the right composition, it would never have happened at all.

All things considered, this is not a bad outcome. I would consider this a sign that the vendor you purchased your product from is actually REPUTABLE and cares about their quality and their image.

Someday on Ebay, a "Genuine White-Grip Canon" will be worth more than the run of the mill black-gripped ones. :lol:

I registered all my stuff at the Canon website and sent an e-mail to the Support Dept asking for instructions about the grip recall for the T4i and haven't got a reply. That was 5 days ago...

Hey what is a good cam I have 1100d n I'm thinking about the 7d or the 60d what should I get

I registered all my stuff at the Canon website and sent an e-mail to the Support Dept asking for instructions about the grip recall for the T4i and haven't got a reply. That was 5 days ago...

Call them and get a reply instantly. :eek:

Hey what is a good cam I have 1100d n I'm thinking about the 7d or the 60d what should I get

Do you need the 7D's autofocus, weather sealing, and superior viewfinder? If not, the 60D has the same sensor. I'd suggest a 7D or even saving a few hundred more for a 5D2, though.

Sent from my Nexus 7

I got my T4i in June 2012 and became aware of the rubber grip issue in July. Should note that I am in Canada - Canon Canada paid shipping both ways, extended my warranty for 2 years and gave me an additional battery when I returned it for repair. I was only without my camera for 8 days - they were long days but I figured I would be crazy not to return it for those benefits.

It was weird about the grip thing for my T4i. When I entered my serial# online it told me my camera was affected but when I contacted Canon via e-mail the reply indicated my camera was not affected...

Most reactions

Back