Canon's Releasing Two New Lenses

I'm waiting to see their response to D3. ;)

Ok I know you "could" use it for these things but who "WILL" pay that money to use it for these things?
The people who know that the extra stop would give them an edge and know it would pay for itself.

I wouldn't be surprised to see sports shooters all over the 200 f/2. That extra stop would be awesome on the basketball court.

Who's gonna use them and what for?
I'm sure they're superdooperlooper sharp but giving the limited situations they'll be used in who (apart from the government maybe) will pay the premium? If you're on a sport or wildlife shoot would you really be interested in swapping lenses? The best I can think of is for static shots but then the price for how much extra quality 1%, 2%?

Enlighten my poor man's mind beginnings please.

There are hundred's of uses for these lenses.... think sports.. wildlife..

There are hundreds of companies with almost limitless budgets to get their photographers the best equipment money can buy. For them.. its no big deal.

You forget... really high end lenses like these are marketed towards commercial and professionals... not individuals. In the commercial world, the $$$ has a whole different meaning/level. I work for a computer corporation that thinks $10k on a server is pocket change.... think millions...

Besides.. there are some leica shooters walking around with a small bag with glass that all adds up to twice the cost of that 800mm.

I would definitely use the 200 for sports. I shoot indoors all the time with my 70-200 2.8L IS and I am almost exclusively in the 200mm range. That extra light at 2.0 would surely be a huge difference in some of the under lit gymnasiums I have been in. And a 800mm for football could mean the difference between missing a great shot while walking down the field and grabbing a great moment of the game from where you are. And while shooting sports you don't often have time to change lens you switch cameras right now my main set up is two 30d's one with the above mentioned zoom and the other with a 300mm 2.8L IS for outdoors, and I swap the 300 for a 24-70mm 2.8L for indoors.

Most reactions

Back