Can't decide which lens to buy

Domis

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Right now I have a Canon EOS 90D body, and I am planning on buying one of these three lenses (It will be my only solo lens that I will use):

Canon Sigma 35mm F1.4 DG HSM Art;

Canon Sigma 18-35mm F1.8 DC HSM Art;

Canon Sigma 30mm F1.4 DC HSM Art;

It will have 1.6x crop because it is not full frame camera, but as far as I know it still fits on crop sensor cameras. So which one do you recommend on buying? And is the DG or DC a better choice? I am planning to use it for portraits, weddings, and street photography mostly.

Please post the glass you already have and what type of photography you want to use them for, i.e.., general purpose, portraits, street photography, landscapes/seascapes/cityscapes, ... Are you planning on upgrading or adding a camera body in the future, especially and FF body?

Please post the glass you already have and what type of photography you want to use them for, i.e.., general purpose, portraits, street photography, landscapes/seascapes/cityscapes, ... Are you planning on upgrading or adding a camera body in the future, especially and FF body?
As I mentioned, right now I have a Canon EOS 90D body only without any lenses. And I want to buy one of those three lenses as my first lens on this camera. I want to use them for general purpose, portraits, weddings, street photography. Yes I have plans of upgrading to FF body in the future, but not soon, in a really far future like after 5-10 years.

I can not recommend sigma at all. If you want 35mm focal length, I would recommend the Canon EF 35mm f/2 IS USM Lens or if you want a close to 35mm field of view, Canon EF-S 24mm f/2.8 STM Lens. The EF 50mm 1.8 is a stellar lens for the price as is the 40mm.

Last edited:
I can not recommend sigma at all. If you want 35mm focal length, I would recommend the Canon EF 35mm f/2 IS USM Lens or if you want a close to 35mm field of view, Canon EF-S 24mm f/2.8 STM Lens. The EF 50mm 1.8 is a stellar lens for the price as is the 45mm.

Why not Sigma? I know that it is expensive, but I am willing to spend a little more for a quality lens.

The Canon 40mm f2.8 pancake lens is well worth looking at as well.
I have one and its very sharp! A bargain at the price.

Why not Sigma? I know that it is expensive, but I am willing to spend a little more for a quality lens.
They have poor quality control. I have had horrible experience with them and there are a lot of people that have experienced the same. They are expensive for what they are, cheap build quality and poor quality control. If you want to spend for real build quality and non gimmicky optics, than go Canon L series. The lens I recommended are excellent. Heck, I have the old EF 35mm f/2 non IS lens and l adore it. I have the EF 17-40L f/4 and it's a winner.

Any of the 3 you have chosen will be fine. Sigma makes some great glass, but recommend you stay with Canon for now. A good place to shop is KEH.com where you can get great quality used products with a warranty and return policy. Look for ex or ex+ rating.

Right now I have a Canon EOS 90D body, and I am planning on buying one of these three lenses (It will be my only solo lens that I will use):

Canon Sigma 35mm F1.4 DG HSM Art;

Canon Sigma 18-35mm F1.8 DC HSM Art;

Canon Sigma 30mm F1.4 DC HSM Art;

It will have 1.6x crop because it is not full frame camera, but as far as I know it still fits on crop sensor cameras. So which one do you recommend on buying? And is the DG or DC a better choice? I am planning to use it for portraits, weddings, and street photography mostly.

You currently only have a body with no lens, and will be shooting weddings. I hope that is the ultimate goal and not a right now thing. You'll need at least a couple of lenses and bodies to even consider properly covering a wedding.

Honestly, I think you would be better suited with a Sigma 24-70mm f/2.8 Art lens for portrait and wedding work. Using the three lenses that you list will invite distortion to the subject and are not flattering for portrait work (which is a lot of wedding work).

Using a 24-70mm at 70mm would be a lot more flattering for portraits.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back