Can't figure out what I'm doing wrong here

You'd be amazed at how much the tops of the towers can move. Even power poles sway back and forth in the breeze. You don't notice it until your up top of one. My ex hubby is a powerlineman for a power company and had great stories of windy day terrors.

Maybe it was the towers, although at 1/500s they should be stopped in their tracks. That sort of shutter speed can freeze an airplane coming in for a landing at 150 miles an hour.

I just meant I wish I had an answer for you. The others all had great tricks to try and I didn't have anything helpful. lol.

Faster shutter speed should do the trick...

It's hard to tell, but it doesn't actually look like anything is blurry, is it not just some kind of illusion? Because the wires are so thin and distant you are going to pixelation and aliasing along their diagonal lines, and because each 'wire' is actually four small wires, from the angle you are on it looks as if they are going in and out of focus but they are actually not. Again, a bit hard to tell, could you post a 100% crop of where it is most noticeable?

Only other thing I can think of is that the wires will quite often buzz or hum at 50Hz (or maybe 60Hz in Canada) and they actually are moving a little bit, so even at 1/500s they could be showing some motion blur, but I don't think is likely considering how far they are moving and how far away from the camera they are.

I wouldn't think that a little wind would move those structures that much.
It does, and they do!

It's a lot more obvious when you're up there on one when it's windy.

But, I'm with Derrel that the OP's lens elements, or image sensor is no longer properly aligned, unless the OP has recently put an El Cheapo filter on the lens.

The truth is it's almost impossible to accurately judge the shots with the quality we're given...they're much too small. Can you give a 100% crop of the focus point? What I mean is take a shot using center-point focus and then give us a 100% around that area (or around the thing you focused on). Might just be that the picture was downconverted and looks blurry. Or the lens has a problem. Or it's just a cheaper lens.

I just meant I wish I had an answer for you. The others all had great tricks to try and I didn't have anything helpful. lol.

Of course you were helpful. I appreciate everybody's response and thank you for yours. At least you didn't waste my time with a moronic comment like, "get a sharper lens."

It's hard to tell, but it doesn't actually look like anything is blurry, is it not just some kind of illusion? Because the wires are so thin and distant you are going to pixelation and aliasing along their diagonal lines, and because each 'wire' is actually four small wires, from the angle you are on it looks as if they are going in and out of focus but they are actually not. Again, a bit hard to tell, could you post a 100% crop of where it is most noticeable?

Only other thing I can think of is that the wires will quite often buzz or hum at 50Hz (or maybe 60Hz in Canada) and they actually are moving a little bit, so even at 1/500s they could be showing some motion blur, but I don't think is likely considering how far they are moving and how far away from the camera they are.

Interesting. I did look at the shots at 100% crop and yes they seemed to be far sharper up close than when viewing the larger shot. Thanks.

The truth is it's almost impossible to accurately judge the shots with the quality we're given...they're much too small. Can you give a 100% crop of the focus point? What I mean is take a shot using center-point focus and then give us a 100% around that area (or around the thing you focused on). Might just be that the picture was downconverted and looks blurry. Or the lens has a problem. Or it's just a cheaper lens.

It's a highly rated lens and has consistently produced excellent IQ. I'll try posting another shot with a crop. Thanks, and thanks everyone for your thoughts.

Has anyone considered power cycling through the lines creating harmonic vibrations that could literally be faster than the lens can capture.. These are the power lines everyone dreads living next to because of their hum. Just my imput. :lol:

Most reactions

Back