Can't use f/3.5 in manual mode?

Rommeo

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi

i m new at photography. I have just bought a Nikon d80 + nikkor 18-135 1:3.5-5.6 lens. I m trying to learn my camera by taking photos. But my problem is; i set everything to manual mode

lens : M ( not A)
camera : M ( not AF )
setting : M ( manual / not auto )

but unfortunately i can't take photos when the aperture is 3.5. Sometimes when there is enough light it allows me to change it to 3.5 and i can take photos but when the light is not enough after that, it AUTOMATICALLY changes it to 5.6 which i dont want. I asked my friend who is using SLR and he said "it's nonsense, in manual mode you can control everything". So my question is, is there anything i m missing ? Why it does not let me to use 3.5 whenever i want ? is there any setting to turn it off for camera not to change it automatically ?

Thank you in advance for your help.

does it change to 5.6 at the 135mm end or the 18mm end. The aperture range of f/3.5-5.6 means that at 18mm you can use 3.5 max and at the 135mm end you can use 5.6 as the widest aperture. Your friend has some learning to do ;)

On most zoom lenses the lowest aperture rating can only be used at the widest setting for the lens. As you zoom in the aperture will automatically get bigger.

Only lenses that are "fast" can keep the lowest setting at all zoom ranges. But those are going to cost you a lot of money.

Your friend has some learning to do
Yes, yes he does. ;)

Also the M switches on the lens and body (not the one on the dial) are for switching between manual and autofocus

Most reactions

Back