Silchuki14

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
$23082013-DSC01220.jpg

$23082013-DSC01225.jpg

$23082013-DSC01195.jpg

Beginner here, trying to "Capture moments". What do you think about these?

THanks

These are all good for a beginner, but clearly could be improved upon.
No1: look at the right side of the picture - do you need all this in the frame? What is the idea of this shot? If it were a horror book stand and you would trim the right side so instead of BOOKS we could read BOO , then there would be at least some funny side to it.

No 2: look at the left side - do you need that poster on the wall and so much empty space? What is the main subject?? Again, what this is about?

No 3: Again what is all that clutter on the left? Can we live without it? And what 'moment' exactly have you captured?

There is a lot to criticize, but at this stage I think it is not really necessary. What is important at this stage - you have to be able to explain clearly , what exactly have you captured, what this moment is about and why should it be interesting to other people?

I have sort of the same issue as Sashbar. What is the significance of the moments you've captured? Is there anything decisive about them?

I do like number one but would have framed a little differently and gone for more of a silhouette I think...

I really like #2, because of the slow shutter speed. That gives the walking men a "fast" effect, which is definitely present in the sub these days...

They are "moments" to be sure, but they're not particularly THE moment. That is; a decisive moment.

I'm sure you've heard that term, and in street photography that is something to strive for. Think of it this way: Does the person (your subject) have two ways to go here? Is he trying to decide something? Is something going to happen in the next few seconds that will affect the outcome?

They are "moments" to be sure, but they're not particularly THE moment. That is; a decisive moment.

I'm sure you've heard that term, and in street photography that is something to strive for. Think of it this way: Does the person (your subject) have two ways to go here? Is he trying to decide something? Is something going to happen in the next few seconds that will affect the outcome?

Oh! Thanks! Never thought about it this way! This is really helpfull!

Thanks for the comment guys! I hope my next pictures will be even better!

You have several options to consider when it comes to the sort of photography you want to do. In general terms, street photography is about the decisive moment. However, your images suggest that you may also be interested in environmental portraiture. There is also what's called urban photography, where the setting and landscape are most important. Lots of choices.

Last edited:
This is something I thought about; I may not use the right terms, words to describe my photography.

That being said, you are right about the fact that I do like to portrait the daily life, maybe not always by using street photography (at least trying) but maybe with Urban Photography.

Thanks for the input!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back