CaptureNX

Some thoughts:

The Nikon software incorporates the ACTUAL raw data converter, whereas Adobe needs to reverse engineer an approximation of it in order to convert raw files in ARC (Adobe Raw Converter.)

The little file that is created parallel to the NEF file is a good way to go - think of it like a coversheet that describes what changes were made to the original. Just remember to back those up along with the actual NEF file.

And while everyone here is busy giving advice, and you're willing to learn new skills: the 800lb gorilla of RAW conversion is a software called CaptureOne by PhaseOne. It's far superior than all the other after-market applications, and ships with pro cameras like Hasselblad and Leica (read: high-end manufacturers that are really small companies compared to the big Japanese corps, and who don't have their own software department.)

Yup, there's a free downloadable demo here:

Actually the whole modifying of NEF files without altering them can be a bad thing too. NEF RAW files are individual to the camera. The data differs to the D200 D80 etc, so you can be happily using it providing Nikon keeps indefinite support for it. What happens in 30 years, supposing you actually archive NEF? Will the RAW for your particular camera still be readable? This is something that has popped up in some of those RAW vs JPEG debates.

In Lightroom you have the option to convert to a DNG format. Although this one is also iffy. It is an open format, but so far I haven't experienced too much support outside of Adobe programs. While it's an Adobe sponsored format it is at least camera independent so I see it existing for a lot longer than specific RAW formats. I still wouldn't recommend it for archiving.

Incidentally Lightroom also stores internal changes parallel to the file so you can roll back your adjustments at any time in the future. Oh and did I mention I like it ;)

I downloaded the 30 day trial of Capture NX, popped that puppy open and voila, the darn thing didn't seem intuitive at all. Now I should say that all of my photos are in raw (NEF), therefore they all need a conversion. Here is what I discovered; I don't know enough about photography yet to actually be manipulating all of the options a raw file affords. I will be studying the tutorials for CaptureNX to see if we'll be shairing a bed or if one of us is going to sleep on the sofa.
I also checked w/the university and I can purchase a heavily discounted version of CS3 premium but they are out of the PC version right now and won't have it until the fall semester gets rollin'. This I viewed as a good thing because I figure I'll just go through the ropes w/Capture NX and then compare life to photoshop and lightroom w/out having to use the x-mas money I am saving for family gifts:mrgreen:

have a good one
3Eo

All you REALLY need to learn is how to use the U-Point thingy, you can get the tutorials on the Capture NX website. Everything else will pretty well come from that.

If you can get the Acadmeic version of CS3, then jump all over that. I think CS3 is HORRIBLY overpriced... and I mean HORRIBLY... but the academic pricing is much more reasonable.

Also, if you have your ID card already, you can get academic prices online from http://www.journeyed.com (my wife is a college professor, and therefore eligible :) )... just remember, academic software isn't licensed for commercial work.

Actually the whole modifying of NEF files without altering them can be a bad thing too. NEF RAW files are individual to the camera. The data differs to the D200 D80 etc, so you can be happily using it providing Nikon keeps indefinite support for it. What happens in 30 years, supposing you actually archive NEF? Will the RAW for your particular camera still be readable? This is something that has popped up in some of those RAW vs JPEG debates.

In Lightroom you have the option to convert to a DNG format. Although this one is also iffy. It is an open format, but so far I haven't experienced too much support outside of Adobe programs. While it's an Adobe sponsored format it is at least camera independent so I see it existing for a lot longer than specific RAW formats. I still wouldn't recommend it for archiving.

Incidentally Lightroom also stores internal changes parallel to the file so you can roll back your adjustments at any time in the future. Oh and did I mention I like it ;)

Lets see, as long as you keep the disk with NX compatibility should not be a problem. From what I'v seen Nikon and I suppose Canon do a good job of supporting past firmware/software. Abobe is a new player in all this. Remember they were Aldus. Tomorrow any of the players both hardware and software might be bought by a rival or worse and it all might not be supported. Let's just say for grins and giggles Sony bought Canon. How long before Sony in there infinite corporate wisdom abandoned Canon RAW? Not likely, but it could happen. Or let's say Microsoft took over Adobe. I think DNG would at best be altered, worst be canned. Again, takeover not likely, but it could happen.
I think Capture NX still has the ability to drag more out of a NEF than another vendors software. And another advantage, when Nikon comes out with that new D3superX or what ever, Capture will open the files with a simple update, and everyone else will be scrambling to catch up. Just a little food for thought.

Fellow forum members thanks for all of the opinions/facts but now because of you all and my no good-dirty rotten-pig stealin' great great grandfather I feel that I have to do some software test drivin' which bugs me to no end because I like paper manuals.:er::meh::grumpy::cyclops::pig::eek:ldman:

have a good one
3Eo

I hope this wasn't an "either - or" question.

Please look into Elements version 5 or your editing, it also does organizing. It has simplified editing interfaces, but most of the power of PS or CS3.

Since I don't have or use NX, someone might want to fill me in, why Elements wouldn't be the one answer for both uses?

when Nikon comes out with that new D3superX or what ever

I think they better not, until they get the lens production line runnin' like a NASCAR pit stop.:thumbdown:

Capture will open the files with a simple update, and everyone else will be scrambling to catch up.
Seems like a very good pt. but that means it will cost me more money to have both programs:grumpy::madmad:....Which really is a bummer cuz that's 400 bucks that could go to a new lens.

have a good one
3Eo

Lets see, as long as you keep the disk with NX compatibility should not be a problem.

That's what I thought about my old dos games :er:. The fact is, and actually this isn't really a point in the original discussion since this can be done in Capture Lightroom, Bible, or any other program, that I would not risk archiving in NEF a format so strongly linked to one company and one camera. I am not looking forward a few years, I am thinking long down the road. In 30 years just like my old games I doubt CaptureNX or Lightroom 1.1 would be able to run on a computer. The DNG format has the advantage of being open. So even if microsoft go buy adobe and try and change it, the old code is still in the open and can easily be adapted. Mind you I guess if they can reverse engineer the RAW formats they can do it again, so while trying to counter your arguement I proved you right :lol:. Either way JPEG or TIFF or better yet the open PNG format would be a more ideal archival choice in my eyes.

It's also true that Capture has the advantage of being written by Nikon, but I just don't see it. Personally I thought the same thing till I started using Lightroom. The colours that I get out of Capture look somewhat surreal at times especially with flash photography. IMO Lightroom extracts better quality from NEFs than Capture.

RacePhoto Elements is more like photos shop. It is a editing program, granted more targeted to photographs than graphical arts, but it still lacks the all important workflow. When you just snapped 150 images the last thing I want to do is open them individually, wait for CameraRAW to load them, tweak it a bit, go in mess with the image only to realise dammit I made a mistake with Cameraraw and have to start all over again. Capture Lightroom etc all have advantages of working with RAW information directly in the one package and window. Any changes even after you save and exit can be rolled back or changed.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back