Car Show video

Exco

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I just started getting into filming with a DSLR this is my 2nd video.

Last edited by a moderator:
And the video was shot using a Canon T3i with a 18-55mm kit lens

Cool video. Definitely an interesting subject and I loved the jib type camera movements.

On the technical side, my primary issue with it was the exposure. You're dealing with a difficult subject that covers a pretty wide dynamic range (dark engines and tires against bright cars), but a few of the shots are a bit too overexposed/blown out. I highly recommend Magic Lantern. It's got some great tools for monitoring exposure. You may also want to look into a variable ND filter.

For example, the shot at 2:02 of the Civic engine is tough to expose for. In your shot the engine is a touch dark, but everything around the car is nearly blown out by the mid-day light. Next time on a shot like this try moving in closer. Position the camera so the engine completely dominates the frame. That way you can expose for the engine and not have worry about the outside. You could then move back and take a wide shot of the car. This time expose for the surroundings. You'll lose the detail of the engine in darkness, but you'll have the detail shot of the engine already that you can cut to later.

Remember, when shooting digital video, it's better to slightly underexpose and correct in post than to overexpose and correct in post. Once a highlight is clipped, it's gone for good. (This link is a good demonstration: Shooting Video? Better Under than Overexposed | DSLR Video, Video)

On the technical side, my primary issue with it was the exposure. You're dealing with a difficult subject that covers a pretty wide dynamic range (dark engines and tires against bright cars), but a few of the shots are a bit too overexposed/blown out. I highly recommend Magic Lantern. It's got some great tools for monitoring exposure. You may also want to look into a variable ND filter.

For example, the shot at 2:02 of the Civic engine is tough to expose for. In your shot the engine is a touch dark, but everything around the car is nearly blown out by the mid-day light. Next time on a shot like this try moving in closer. Position the camera so the engine completely dominates the frame. That way you can expose for the engine and not have worry about the outside. You could then move back and take a wide shot of the car. This time expose for the surroundings. You'll lose the detail of the engine in darkness, but you'll have the detail shot of the engine already that you can cut to later.QUOTE]

I will work on this, this up coming weekend. Thanks for the comments

Most reactions

Back