Card readers vs ?

baturn

TPF Supporters
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi, My name is Brian and I'm a newb.
I have seen discussion on this forum about using card readers as oppossed to plugging the camera into the computer directly (tried a search but failed) and am still unsure of the benefits of one over the other. To be honest it sorta seems like personal preference.
Are there any real benefits or possibly harmful effects with either option.
Thanks.

Well for me using a card reader it loads faster than connecting my XSI thrugh USB if I have a lot of pictures.

Usually, it is faster to use a card reader than to connect the camera directly.

Also, you don't waste the camera's battery when using a card reader...and the biggest benefit (IMO) is that you don't have the camera sitting on a desk/table while tethered to something. Sooner or later, you or someone will catch the cord on something which will send the camera flying...probably onto the floor.

$20 for a card reader sounds like a good deal to me.

I agree its easier and faster to use the card reader as well as being safer for your camera.

Never really worried about speed, but I definitely now see the safety issue. I think some cards come with a reader and was in the market for a spare any how.Thanks all.

One thing to keep in mind is if your camera uses compact flash cards... that means your camera also has pins, and you run a risk of pulling a pin when you pull the card. This is an ugly experience and an expensive repair.

Personally, I use card readers instead of leaving my camera on running down the batteries. Especially if you use a 4 gig or larger card and are downloading several hundred photos. Also readers download the images much faster.

Most reactions

Back