What's new

Cardinal Feather

PixelRabbit

A naughty little bunny...
Joined
Nov 28, 2011
Messages
6,593
Reaction score
3,719
Location
Ontario
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
So normally when I find a little treasure like this I leave it in place and shoot it as is, this time it was pouring down rain so I brought the feather inside. I put it on one of my plates (black) and had a go at it. I wish I hadn't laid it flat and perhaps held it first to take a few shots of it but alas I didn't this time but will next.

I'm a little iffy about the bottom right corner, it was a balance between angle on the drops and trying to get the whole feather in. This one ended up being the best balance but a little cramped.
Would love to hear your thoughts, thanks for taking a look!

 
The detail of the part that's in focus looks really interesting, and I think it deserves to be explored more. The large expanse of background is too bright I think. The OOF feather parts aren't doing anything to enhance the composition, IMHO.

Keep working on it.
 
Thanks Buckster, perhaps trying to get too much in the shot without a good reason for it...
 
Here is another one with less feather etc... but I didn't post it because it seems... mundane? ...

 
The black background is much more favorable to the image. Also, the interplay of detail in the drops (magnifying the barbs of the feather) looks very interesting. I also think you've got something there that needs some "development".
 
Second one was better executed but I personally liked the interest in the details in the first.

In either case, nice idea.
 
Thanks guys, I still have said feather (amazingly the cats haven't made off with it yet lol) and some free time (Mr. Rabbit started his new job today woot! love him to bits but it was time...) so I think this is worth revisiting. Any suggestions on a reshoot would be cool ;)
 
Well, for whatever my five cents is worth, I like the second one best. Now you have a nickels worth of free advice. Ignore it and shoot in your style and knock our socks off. :wink:
 
Oh Buckster, I agree there is gorgeous light in the OP where the drop is, the problem I'm having is every time I try to crop it close I lose that subtle light at the top of the drop, I'm definitely going to work on this shot more in post, it's in there I'm sure!
 
ceeboy14 said:
Well, for whatever my five cents is worth, I like the second one best. Now you have a nickels worth of free advice. Ignore it and shoot in your style and knock our socks off. :wink:

Thanks Ceeboy ;)
 
Congrats to Mr. Rabbit!
 
Well, for whatever my five cents is worth, I like the second one best. Now you have a nickels worth of free advice. Ignore it and shoot in your style and knock our socks off. :wink:

5 Cents.... Dr you are expensive


I like both shots so work with it ..nice idea
 
Thanks Manaheim :) I shall pass that along! He applied for this job 8 months ago, found out he got the job early December, he then promptly got laid off from his job through the union so he had about a month off in between. He now officially works for the nuclear station instead of under contract/through the union so the great debate... do I call him Homer now? :lmao:

Thanks Mully, I desperately need to improve my post work, Ceeboy is helping me out and these shots are good candidates to practice on!
 
Just make sure when he comes home late, he's not glowing..or if he is, make sure you get a good shot. :lmao:
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom