Care for a bite?

DGMPhotography

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
One of my favorites from my shoot with Erika. C&C appreciated.

Erika - Daryll Morgan Photography-3.jpg

,I don-t think the apple adds anything but she-s a great looking girl and well photographed.

The background I find a bit distracting...too in-focus and too busy of a design for my taste...it competes with her and the apple. it's difficult to tell if she has a very large nose, or if what I am seeing is foreshortening (enlarging of close objects) due to the camera being too close with too short of a lens length in use. I dunno'...she's attractive enough, but this shot just isn;t coming together quite right; busy backdrop, her head crowding the top of the frame, her left hand (camera right) looking rather man-like and contorted...her shirt's cuff being way too long...I just think I've seen better work from you, D. There are several, small, yet significant details that bug me...like the odd highlight on her nose, camera right...what's that from?

I'm not going to sugar coat it: she's attractive, I would say, but she has not been photographed in a pleasing manner. SHE's perfectly fine, but this shot has some styling issues that make it less than ideal.

Tell you what...plop in a PLAIN, gray backdrop, and give her the appropriate degree of head space (above her head) and see if the shot is not instantly 50% better. The backdrop alone is just killing this shot.

Last edited:
Gorgeous girl and well shot. Like Donde I agree about the apple. I think for it to work properly you either have a very seductive look or very sweet/innocent. The way she looks is kind of in between. Even just a little stronger in either direction would make a huge difference.

I got off of my phone, and am on the computer now...Too much fill light on her ear, camera right...the ear itself should not be "fill-lit"...move your fill source forward of the subject...the shadow camera right??? VERY light in tone...again...keep the fill light closer to the lens axis, and the shadows will not be so lower-mid-tone-ish...just look at the ear camera right and you can see that it is very bright, and yet, that is the "shadow side" of the subject...but the shadow side is lit-up and the ostensible shadow is very,very light in tone.

I will agree I could have taken the expression further in a certain direction. And yeah, the cuff of her shirt should probably be a bit shorter.

However, I like the rest of the shot as it is. I dunno. This is just one of those times I think breaking the rules is okay. And this was my model's favorite photo from the whole shoot as well, so it might be a subjective thing.

But I do appreciate everyone's point of view and feedback, and it of course opens up my perspective and I thank you for that.

The posing is nice, and so is the lighting. I like that you were able to highlight the shape of her jaw with the fill light. I'm not a fan of the backdrop, as to me it's distracting on it's own and a bit chintzy in aesthetic, and really clashes with the apple. As well, to me the backdrop doesn't make much sense with her librarian/teacher fetish look. You could potentially mask the apple in PS and adjust it's color a bit to give it better harmony with the background. Also echoing the comments on the model's expression. Sometimes I get a better expression from models by having them look down at the ground (including pointing their face toward the ground), and then on my count will have them bring their head back up and look into the camera, and capture that moment when they make eye contact with the lens.

Really love this one!

I liked the way it is captured. Nice once :)

I will agree I could have taken the expression further in a certain direction. And yeah, the cuff of her shirt should probably be a bit shorter.

However, I like the rest of the shot as it is. I dunno. This is just one of those times I think breaking the rules is okay. And this was my model's favorite photo from the whole shoot as well, so it might be a subjective thing.

But I do appreciate everyone's point of view and feedback, and it of course opens up my perspective and I thank you for that.

Why even ask for C&C. The shot is perfect, right?

Sorry, but no, good photography is not subjective, but is intersubjective. Intersubjective meaning that multiple people (many,many,many people in the case of photography) understand what good photography is, and what it is not. Just because somebody like this young woman "likes" a shot does not mean it's a good shot, or a splendid shot, or an average shot. Photography falls under the rubric of an art and craft that has intersubjective 'rules' or 'principles'; many people KNOW what these things are, and some of us are telling you how you could improve the photo, but it seems that's not what you want to hear.

Breaking the rules is okay? Poor framing? Bad clothing? Man-hands? A chintzy backdrop? An odd expression?

If you want to get better, you'd do yourself a huge favor by actually listening to the C&C you get here. I only write this because this is probably the 10th time I've seen one of your C&C threads go _exactly_ as this one has gone.

You say you appreciate everybody's point of view and the feedback, but only after you say you like the shot, and it's your model's favorite shot from that session.

Okay...you like the shot the way it is.

Nevermind the C&C people gave. Nevermind the background, and the expression and the big nose and the weirdly-lit-up shadow-side ear, etc. Break those rules!

So it's not just me then.

I don't get the plain black shorts and white T shirt that's lighted in a way that accentuates the folds in the fabric and creates lines. That against the floral wallpaper-looking background that could be retro or outdated depending on what's done with it, but doesn't seem to work here. Holding the apple made me think it's supposed to be Eve-like but I don't get that otherwise from the photo.

Your responses Daryl seem often to be to defend how the photo was done instead of listening to suggestions or ideas. Not that everyone's input is going to work for you, but taking something from the feedback might be something to consider.

One of my favorites from my shoot with Erika. C&C appreciated.
What is this about? There is so much going on that nothing in particular is going on. To simply say; "I don't get it" does not help you to become a better photographer, nor Erika to become a better model. Maybe if I knew the back story here, it would help a little.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back