Carolina Raptor Center

smcaskil

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.crimesceneblog.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I visited the Carolina Raptor Center today and managed to get a few good pictures.

All of the birds at the center were injured in some way, or they imprinted on humans and never learned to hunt properly. The only problem from a photographic perspective is that the birds are in enclosures with fences. Try as I might, I could get the 200mm to focus on the birds without still being able to see the "shadow" of the fence in the foreground.

Here are some that I was able to get while the birds were on display during the program they have several times a day where visitors are given the ability to view the pictures up close and learn more about them.

237366231-M.jpg

237368202-M.jpg

This white bird is actually a red-tailed hawk. She suffers from a condition which makes her lose color over time, so in the 20 years she has been at the raptor center, she has gotten progressively more white.
237368765-M.jpg

237370613-M.jpg

This little guy was tiny, but ferocious looking.

237373593-M.jpg

Very interesting birds, all.

I go through N Carolina several times a year, I checked there websight, and it looks like it would be worth a detour to visit them.

You mentioned focusing the 200mm, did you use your long lense for all these photos?

Ron

Very interesting birds, all.

I go through N Carolina several times a year, I checked there websight, and it looks like it would be worth a detour to visit them.

You mentioned focusing the 200mm, did you use your long lense for all these photos?

Ron

I used the long lens on all the shots, because I wanted to get close. I wanted tight shots to try and make sure people weren't seen in the background but sometimes you just couldn't get the shot without people in the it.

If you plan on making a detour to the Raptor Center, wait until they have their PhotoDay in Spring and Fall of 2008. If you check out their site, you can sign up for the newsletter and that should notify you of the event. It is $85.00 for non-members, but they put the birds on display for hours and let folks come solely to take pictures. I plan on doing it next year since you can't really photography them well in their cages.

LOVE the owl shots. The second shot looks like a Disney character, with those huge eyes. And that tiny but ferocious looking last one is a fun shot too. Amazing how tiny both of them are.

Thanks for sharing....I could spend all day looking at owls. The last one is a real character:)

The shots are really nice. I like them!

I live in Charlotte also! I've never been there the thirteen years I've been living here. I'm moving much closer there, off I-77 but it's a place on Lake Norman.

Again nice photos!

Most reactions

Back