Carousel

She's gorgeous, and I can definitely see why an agency like Ford Models would pick her up. She has a face that will get her very far in the fashion and advertising industry. I love the expression you captured in the first one; did you have an assistant or did she have a friend who was out of frame conversing with her and helping you get natural expressions?

I'm not surprised at all that she is 14, especially considering she is signed with Ford Models. Portraying young models this age and even as young as 12 as adults has been the norm for a very long time, and in the past the models were not always treated with any dignity at all ("pose nude or a more eager model will get your job"). There have been many positive changes in the industry over recent years regarding the safety and integrity of these young girls though. She definitely doesn't look her age, but at least it's reassuring to know that a lot has been done to make sure these girls aren't taken advantage of like they were in the past.
Thank you Dan to answer your first question, no I did not have an assistant on this job, we had a great rapport all day. I told her have fun dint pose, smile laugh be happy down you worry I'll get it. And bam she went off, she's a natural so not too difficult.

The second part yes, it's always been that way. And you are correct the girls were back in the day mistreated. Ironically enough I've seen a huge shift, it seems the young boys are the ones I'm a litte trouble. I hate to say exploited but it's what they are. That worries me tons more than the young girls. My two cents after 30 years in this Gane.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk
That makes me worry for some of my friends who are climbing the ranks in the industry. The best we can do is hope they are smart, and for us to perpetuate good behaviour as the photographers. Lead by example.
That's what I tell my young friends here too. And yes the days of the freaky photog but for a stray few come to end.

Agencies vete thier photogs quite well these days. At least the ones I work with down here.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

You should see my fourteen year old. I showed a picture of her to a buddy of mine and he was like "Whoa, she's hot. What is she? 25?" I'm like "No. That's my 12 year old daughter."

He looks at me and has this look of sheer horror on his face.

Anyway... no reason to not post. Your photos are very nice, interesting topic, and this is a photography forum after all. We're about the photography more than anything else. Please keep posting.

I read this thread with great interest because it's nice to have these information. I've just started to talk with agencies, and shoot models.. (and apparently I have no idea what is fashion and what goes into test shooting...an agency asked me if I would be interested in shooting fashion and they told me that models need simple shots without too much editing, simple wardrobe and minimal makeup and to see some agencies in Paris and Milan (in my head fashion is something different)...so I'm going to see, browse some agencies and what are they looking for and see if I can do that)

I'm not going into "omg, that's just wrong" (which is my personal opinion) because I understand that's how stuff works and I would like to know the truth about the industry.

Keep posting and telling us some info :)

I wonder if they do their own editing. That wouldn't surprise me.

Alex is a 14 year old model with Ford here in Miami . Was instructed to capture sexy but juniorish ??? HAHA ! Oh well off we went , this is so far one of my favorites as well as agencies so far .

Alex by manny herreria, on Flickr

Yep , I am aware the horses head is cutoff , as well as her left shoe , although I'm glad I got the converse sticker in there . HAHA

I must admit I've never shot on a carousel , quite fun but can be constricting due to backgrounds and all the people around . UGH PEOPLE !! HAHAHA !!

Oh yea mom was on set .
Including the whole shoe or the horse head would not Improve the shot. It's about the model here.

If there's anything I would change is that I'm not fond of eyes going right to the corner where you see more whites than iris.

Other than that, this is an amazing photo.

I read this thread with great interest because it's nice to have these information. I've just started to talk with agencies, and shoot models.. (and apparently I have no idea what is fashion and what goes into test shooting...an agency asked me if I would be interested in shooting fashion and they told me that models need simple shots without too much editing, simple wardrobe and minimal makeup and to see some agencies in Paris and Milan (in my head fashion is something different)...so I'm going to see, browse some agencies and what are they looking for and see if I can do that)

I'm not going into "omg, that's just wrong" (which is my personal opinion) because I understand that's how stuff works and I would like to know the truth about the industry.

Keep posting and telling us some info :)
I'm so excited for you Marija!

I wonder if they do their own editing. That wouldn't surprise me.
I've never heard of an agency doing that, but in all honesty if they had a really good retoucher I wouldn't mind.

Which is why 14 year old girls need to have the parents make the decisions for them. Kids often don't chose what's best for themselves, kids would rather stay up all night, eat candy for breakfast and not take baths, but is that in their best interest?
Like I said, I don't blame her for the choice, I blame her parents for placing more value on a dollar than on the human experience that she will never have the chance to live out at 14. She has the rest of her life to model, but a short time to be a kid that will be gone forever.

To me this isn't really any different than than sports, acting, or whatever else is out there. As long as she isn't being taken advantage of, and loves doing it, then more power to her! Whatever makes you happy is what you should do!:)
I used to race BMX, and one year when our locale track held one of the national qualifiers, which was a big deal. There was one kid that was around 11 years old that was racing, you have to race in three heats and then the final. And during his final heat he wreck, he still qualified because he finished when another kid that went down with him couldn't finish. But the kid that finished broke his left hand, and couldn't hold onto the handle bar. So him and his parents duct taped his broken hand to the bars, you run the brake with your right hand so he was good to go. And he placed high enough in the final to qualify for the nationals.
This stuff happened all the time! Now your teen modeling does not seem so bad now, does it? :)

As for the photo, I think it is a great shot across the board, great job! :)

Last edited:
Which is why 14 year old girls need to have the parents make the decisions for them. Kids often don't chose what's best for themselves, kids would rather stay up all night, eat candy for breakfast and not take baths, but is that in their best interest?
Like I said, I don't blame her for the choice, I blame her parents for placing more value on a dollar than on the human experience that she will never have the chance to live out at 14. She has the rest of her life to model, but a short time to be a kid that will be gone forever.
The career of a model isn't very long. If she hasn't signed on to a big agency by 21 she's gonna have a hard time trying to make it. Many big names started at age 12 (Milla Jovovich). Claudia Schiffer started at 18.

Teenage years and living it out is overrated.

To me this isn't really any different than than sports, acting, or whatever else is out there. As long as she isn't being taken advantage of, and loves doing it, then more power to her! Whatever makes you happy is what you should do!:)
I used to race BMX, and one year when our locale track held one of the national qualifiers, which was a big deal. There was one kid that was around 11 years old that was racing, you have to race in three heats and then the final. And during his final heat he wreck, he still qualified because he finished when another kid that went down with him couldn't finish. But the kid that finished broke his left hand, and couldn't hold onto the handle bar. So him and his parents duct taped his broken hand to the bars, you run the brake with your right hand so he was good to go. And he placed high enough in the final to qualify for the nationals.
This stuff happened all the time! Now your teen modeling does not seem so bad now, does it? :)

As for the photo, I think it is a great shot across the board, great job! :)

Thanks and yea man that duct tape I tell ya , works for everything ;) HA!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back