Cassius Blue

K9Kirk

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I finally spotted some cassius blue butterflies, I've been told about them being in this area. They don't go much further north from what I've read because north Florida is too cold for them in the winter, they're usually found from central to lower Florida. It was hard to get a good focus on them with the big Tamron, they're very tiny at 16 to 25 mm and they move quickly and constantly, you have to be very focused and quick to get a decent shot when they do land.

This pic is heavily cropped.

11142244-studio.jpg

Also, a beautiful little buckeye butterfly.

11142130-studio.jpg

Loving the Buckeye image- you need a Macro lens Kirk a great investment :)

Les

Loving the Buckeye image- you need a Macro lens Kirk a great investment :)

Les
Thanks, Lez. I have one, it's a Sigma 105 mm 1:2.8 DG Macro HSM. I shot these at appx 9 ft. away, the closest my 600 mm Tamron will allow and to be honest, those little guys wouldn't let me get any closer without flying away so the macro wouldn't have worked in this setting. At the flower garden it's a whole other story, they don't spook nearly as easily so you can get up close where the Sigma shines. It's a nice lens, a great investment, as you said.

Thanks, Lez. I have one, it's a Sigma 105 mm 1:2.8 DG Macro HSM. I shot these at appx 9 ft. away, the closest my 600 mm Tamron will allow and to be honest, those little guys wouldn't let me get any closer without flying away so the macro wouldn't have worked in this setting. At the flower garden it's a whole other story, they don't spook nearly as easily so you can get up close where the Sigma shines. It's a nice lens, a great investment, as you said.
I have 2 macro lenses at present- Sigma 70mm f1.4 ART kens and the Sony 90mm f2.8 macro lens

I find if you find a plant they seem to like - sit close till they fly away, mostly they will return to the same plant- grab your chance- pre focused on a single flower using a tripod will give a greater chance of success :) as will a small fill flash set on HSS to give flexibility on a high shutter speed

I shot this at f10 1/640th sec ISO 200 - using the above formula

h9rKKoc.jpg

Les :)

I have 2 macro lenses at present- Sigma 70mm f1.4 ART kens and the Sony 90mm f2.8 macro lens

I find if you find a plant they seem to like - sit close till they fly away, mostly they will return to the same plant- grab your chance- pre focused on a single flower using a tripod will give a greater chance of success :) as will a small fill flash set on HSS to give flexibility on a high shutter speed

I shot this at f10 1/640th sec ISO 200 - using the above formula

h9rKKoc.jpg

That's very nice. Here's one of my older ones with no flash or tripod. Agree on waiting at one flower, they almost always come back to it.
This is @ f/14, 1/200 sec, ISO 320, +1 step
11142118-studio.jpg

That's very nice. Here's one of my older ones with no flash or tripod. Agree on waiting at one flower, they almost always come back to it.
This is @ f/14, 1/200 sec, ISO 320, +1 step
View attachment 251716
Lovely shot- Is that a type of Moth?

Lovely shot- Is that a type of Moth?

I know, the fuzzy wings make it appear to be a moth but according to this site, it's a butterfly. They say that a couple ways to tell are it has clubbed antennae and it's wings are folded vertical. I tried to ID it and it appears to be a Horace's Duskywing.

Thanks buddy :)

Most reactions

Back