cat portrait

StvShoop

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.rpi.edu
fat cats are the cool ones. I really like this photo and i want to make a print of it for my family. I don't really like the black background though (and the junk in the background, which has to go of course).
This is manipulated a little in photoshop, desaturated and messed with the levels a bit. The "junk" in the background was more visible before editing. I'm contemplating bringing that stuff back, or maybe constructing some kind of dark wall/floor/i_dunno in photoshop.
or maybe a simple crop? thx ppl

pic9d.jpg

here's a bigger one

before making brighter...
http://rpi.edu/~shoopr/files/photo/images/pic9.jpg

Erm, weeeeeellll, how do I express myself here.... um, all I see is black with a little bit of foreground. I even closed the blinds as to minimize reflection on my screen, but it doesn't help any... How am I to critique a photo on which I don't see anything???

ack, sorry.
i can see it fine on my screen, but I admit i noticed that it looked lighter/darker when viewed thru different applications.

it's a really tight balance that i'm shooting for, but if you can't see it at all, that's no good. i'll brighten it and hope for the best :oops:

edit: ok, fixed i hope

I can see the cat on my screen. It is pretty dark though. I see glimmers of light in the almost totally black background but I cannot tell what is in the background.

pic9e.jpg

i plugged my laptop in to my desktop monitor and surely enough, the image was invisible.
i guess i learned some things i hadn't expected to :roll: always view a web graphic on multiple monitors before publishing.
hopefully this one is visible. if not, i'm out of ideas, aside from getting masichistic with the brightness setting.

StvShoop,

This was hit with the auto contrast in PS. Seems a lot clearer, but if you were going for the "smoky" look, prolly won't be want you wanted...

PS - cloned out your "junk" left the floor as is .... imvho it would look a bit floaty (?) without ..

Hope you don't mind.

Cheers,
Gatsby

Cpic9e.jpg

thanks man
nice job with the ps. i was planning on having it really... maybe muted is the right word. but i hadn't seen this image with such a richness of different values, so that's something more for me to think about, thx man
the floatiness is what i was worried about earlier. i guess that existing bit of floor does something for it, but it's kind of wierd, like you can't tell if it's the floor or what. i need to get up off my butt and try different things with this image. bed first though

Most reactions

New Topics

Back