catch lights in the eyes

BLD_007

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Ever since I have started taking pictures and learning the ins and outs I have begun to see things different. Like lights reflecting in the eyes. I think its almost as bad as seeing a full reflection of the photographer in a mirror or glass or am I wrong?

Is there a way to hide the lights from the eyes but still get the same results or is this what we want, light reflecting in the eyes "like a soft box"

I can even see them in movies and tv when there is a close up and its sorta annoying.

Am I the only one or am I over analyzing photos ?

Actually catch lights are a good thing in my opinion. You can always add fake ones in Photoshop I guess.

I think sometimes it makes the photo more real? It's supposed to be there kinda thing? not really sure how to explain it technically.....I'm sure someone with more insight will post :)
....waiting....:wink:

An eye without catch lights often looks 'dead'. So they are usually a good thing.

The key to understanding catch lights is: the angle of incidence equals the angle of reflection.
Whether or not a catch light will appear in the eye, depends on the position of the light, the eye and the camera.
The shape & size of the catch light are determined by the shape, size & distance of the light from the subject.

Most reactions

Back