Catching a gun firing

inTempus

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
We've had a couple of discussions on this before... about how to catch a gun firing.

I've only been able to do it a handful of times and it's been mostly lucky (and shooting 10fps). It happened again today, and here's the shot.

861642748_cgjPN-XL.jpg

It's a Glock 21SF .45 ACP pistol. You can see that the pistol has just fired and the slide is just starting to move rearward. The gases just behind the bullet can be seen in the muzzle flash and if you look closely, you'll actually see the contrail of the bullet passing through the smoke cloud. It's the perfectly straight white line coming from the muzzle. I think that's pretty freaking cool.

I just thought I would share the shot.

What you need is a setup using some of this stuff
HighSpeedFlash Products Ultra
and their audio triggor! Then you can get that highspeed shot with ultra sharpness all in one go!

Cool shot Tim! Amazing how the far shell casing has already flown in that amount of time.
I believe the shell casing in the photo is from the previous round.

The slide has not yet recoiled enough to eject the shell casing that held the bullet that just left the barrel.

With all do respects, my real world job requires me to be intimately familiar with firearms and their use and to be quite proficient with them. If you are hand shooting photos like the one you posted, then you are as we would call it, a toe tag waiting to be filled.

You should never be able to see the full frontal of a shooters face or the muzzle of a firearm that is loaded, unless you are the one that is about to be killed. I have yet to find one instance in history where a firearm killed anyone. There are thousands of cases however where people with a lack of knowledge or forethought have either killed someone else or been killed.

A little food for though.

With all do respects, my real world job requires me to be intimately familiar with firearms and their use and to be quite proficient with them. If you are hand shooting photos like the one you posted, then you are as we would call it, a toe tag waiting to be filled.

You should never be able to see the full frontal of a shooters face or the muzzle of a firearm that is loaded, unless you are the one that is about to be killed. I have yet to find one instance in history where a firearm killed anyone. There are thousands of cases however where people with a lack of knowledge or forethought have either killed someone else or been killed.

I've been around firearms my entire life and have used them professionally for several years.

It's a self portrait. You figure it out.

It never ceases to amaze me the number of self professed gun "professionals" you encounter when posting on forums. You can't have a discussion without someone who thinks their the gatekeeper of safety chiming in, usually off topic, and derailing the thread. I thought this only happened on gun forums... I guess you guys venture off onto other forums too. :)

Now, can we get back on topic?

KmH,

You are correct, the casing in the air is from the previous round that was fired. I had the camera on a timer so I fired 13 rounds as quickly as I could to try and catch a cool shot.

I've been around firearms my entire life and have used them professionally for several years.

It never ceases to amaze me the number of self professed gun "professionals" you encounter when posting on forums. You can't have a discussion without someone who thinks their the gatekeeper of safety chiming in, usually off topic, and derailing the thread. I thought this only happened on gun forums... I guess you guys venture off onto other forums too. :)

As the life long cop that has to go to the families home to tell them that their son, daughter, brother, sister, wife, husband etc, who has "been around guns their entire life" is dead because they didn't think, have fun toe tag. Do what you want. Your no skin off my nose.

But for all those people on this forum looking at the image you posted, maybe they won't be so stupid as to try this at home. Maybe they will realize that being in front of a firearm being fired is not such a bright idea. Maybe they will realize that the professionals that take shots of things like firing weapons do so with equipment setup in harms way and triggered remotely by someone smart enough not be in harms way.

Ever wonder why those folks on the gun forums chime in on safety? They see the results when people think they are smarter than the firearm and try to keep it from happening again.

As the life long cop that has to go to the families home to tell them that their son, daughter, brother, sister, wife, husband etc, who has "been around guns their entire life" is dead because they didn't think, have fun toe tag. Do what you want. Your no skin off my nose.

But for all those people on this forum looking at the image you posted, maybe they won't be so stupid as to try this at home. Maybe they will realize that being in front of a firearm being fired is not such a bright idea. Maybe they will realize that the professionals that take shots of things like firing weapons do so with equipment setup in harms way and triggered remotely by someone smart enough not be in harms way.

Ever wonder why those folks on the gun forums chime in on safety? They see the results when people think they are smarter than the firearm and try to keep it from happening again.

I guess you don't like to read? See bold text in quote.

Cool shot OP.

I think you missed the fact that it's a self portrait. No one is manning the camera.

Very cool shot!

I guess you don't like to read? See bold text in quote.

You mean the bold text THAT WAS NOT IN THE ORIGINAL POST by the OP. A little fact that he happened to mention after the fact only when called on the issue. After something happens "Oh yeah, I forgot to mention...." really doesn't mean much then does it?

You mean the bold text THAT WAS NOT IN THE ORIGINAL POST by the OP. A little fact that he happened to mention after the fact only when called on the issue. After something happens "Oh yeah, I forgot to mention...." really doesn't mean much then does it?

Whatever you say man. I'm not going to derail this thread because you think somebody is lying to you on the internet.
Edit: But a quick viewing of his Flickr profile and Website show a picture of him. Surprisingly, they appear to be the same man in the photo! But I'm sure you think it's a conspiracy for him to lie about whether or not he was standing down range of a weapon that's being fired.

OP, how exactly did you capture this? Obviously a tripod, but what was your setup and EXIF?

Last edited:
I've got to agree with gryphon. It's not unreasonable to say something along the lines of "hey be careful or be dead" when someone appears to be doing something stupid with firearms.

I'm sure if you'd explained in your original post that you were using a remote trigger on continuous fire nobody would have cared...

I've got to agree with gryphon. It's not unreasonable to say something along the lines of "hey be careful or be dead" when someone appears to be doing something stupid with firearms.

I'm sure if you'd explained in your original post that you were using a remote trigger on continuous fire nobody would have cared...

:thumbup: +1

I have to agree with Gryph with no offense to inTempus. Both of you are familiar with firearms.. there's nothing wrong with educating the rest of us "Don't try this at home" message in either the original post or later on. Neither should take offense from such a response.....

I think the angle of the shot made it difficult to make the assumption of whether the camera was manned or unmanned. Now if you were to take a photo of what it would have looked like if one were to be the target just moments after the pin dropped, now that would have been an obvious "its unmanned" or "he's just plain got a death wish". Any danger to the camera in setting up such a shot? (of course aiming just to the left or right... lol)

A nice photo you have there... I like the trail as you pointed out. I wonder if the shot was done in less than full bright daylight if the lighted muzzle would have a more dramatic effect.

Last edited:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back