CC - copy-pasting birds into another photo

Abby Rose

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
This is the first time I've tried anything like this. I did it on GIMP. Just a straightforward outline of the birds, copying it, and pasting them into the windmill picture. How did I do? I'm not sure about the placement, does it look very unnatural? I couldnt decide. Also, I tried to find a picture where the sky was a similar color and the light hit the birds in a similar way that it hit the windmill. Maybe I could have done better.

The birds arent from one of my pictures. I found them on Google images. Is this illegal? It was just an experiment, but I'm not sure if that makes a difference. I wasnt planning on doing much of anything with them, though one is a 365 picture.

I wasnt going to keep the original photos, mostly because I figured they were too unbalanced with all that sky. But then I had the idea to put stuff in the sky to balance it, and these would be good for practice. Birds are a logical choice, right? (Next time I'll do a UFO or something :)) Here:

original A:
DSC09042.jpg

Bird A:
DSC09042B.jpg

original B:
3-6-10DSC09041.jpg

Bird B:
3-6-10DSC09041B.jpg

I think you did a fine job of composting the images. If I hadn't seen the originals I would have believed the image.

That being said, typically when you compost images you want to pick apart your own images rather than snagging parts of them from google. I'm thinking it is still breaking copyright as you are reproducing a portion of the image (not that you would ever get caught for something like this).

But in general, this is where it can be quite helpful to take a bunch of stock images for yourself. Some people shoot interesting skies anytime they see them so they can change out a boring sky (such as the one in your picture) if they want.

As far as the pictures goes, they are kind of boring (sky is blah, not much going on). And personally I don't really think that the birds add all that much to the image. I think if you're going to compost the image and add something, make sure it adds value to the image as a whole.

*pssst* Nate, it's composite.

Compost is a pile that you through organic waste into so it will decompose into useful fertilizer.

However, I have thrown many photos into the compost pile. :lol:

*pssst* Nate, it's composite.

Compost is a pile that you through organic waste into so it will decompose into useful fertilizer.

However, I have thrown many photos into the compost pile. :lol:

*psst* Bitter, it's throw! (not through) :)

:gun: :)

Thanks, NateWagner! I guess I'll have to take some bird pictures though if I ever want to do something like this again. :)

Bitter, do you think these composites should be composted?

OMG! :lmao:
Somebody take that gun away from Sarah!

Abby, yeah. Compost. Through them aweigh.

The birds added, but not enough.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back