CC My first try with OCF plz

Flyer

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I ordered a couple of flashes (Vivitar 285HV), stands, umbrellas, triggers, etc.

I set them all up the other night to try it out. In moving the flashes (on the stand still) from my kitchen to the bedroom I bumped the door frame. One came crashing down and broke the foot. I wasn't a happy camper at that moment.

However .. that being said, I have 2 shots (one for showing the setup) of my first try. Both shots were with the 285HV on camera left up high in a reflective umbrella. I think the monkey shot the 285 was on 1/4. On camera right I have an SB600. I forget the strength of it. I was playing around with it a good deal trying to kill hard shadows. The shot with the monkey, it was up high with a shoot through umbrella. Both flashes were at the foot of the bed. There is a mirror directly behind me.

Camera: D5000
Lens: Nikon 35mm 1.8 DX

All are as shot, I did do some PP on my little boy to remove a couple of scratches and other spots. I already had that done before I decided to post them as shot.

1/160 4.5

20120105-DSC_0108.jpg by TX Flyer, on Flickr

I moved the camera right umbrella down to just above eye level to light the eyes well enough.

1/160 2.2

20120105-DSC_0136.jpg by TX Flyer, on Flickr

Here's as good as I could get at showing the setup.

20120105-DSC_0136-2.jpg by TX Flyer, on Flickr

Not a bad start at all. #1 is under-exposed by about 1/2 stop or so (Notice how the whites are actually slightly grey?) and the lighting is very flat (Even, no shadows. Fine for a passport shot, not so attractive for portraiture. #2 shows a much better exposure overall, but the eyes are still dark. It's tough with brown-eyed people, but you really want to try for at least some distinction between the lens and iris. Perhaps throw in a reflector low and left?

I agree with the flat looking #1. I also found the WB to be a bit off and was hoping for confirmation.

In number 2, I thought it to be slightly over exposed, otherwise, I was fairly pleased with the results. I was struggling lighting his eyes a little. I'm going to have to look into a reflector and some sort of bracket I guess to put it on a light stand.

I found a pair of stands with umbrellas and heads on Amazon for relatively cheap. Maybe another set of those and a reflector.

The WB may be off in #1, but until the exposure is corrected, I can't say for sure if it's just dark, or if there is a cool cast to it. On my [corrected] monitor it doesn't look too bad, at least going by the yellow and red areas. The face may be a trifle hot in #2, but it's minor enough that it's easily fixed in post.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back