CC, please! :-)

camerateur

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
$Baby Leo 01.1.jpg

I've been out of the game for a while, please advise me and help me improve my post-processing!
(I shot this photo more than a year ago, there's nothing I can re-shoot now, like their cut off heads for instance. Mostly just wondering about my PP [Lightroom 5] technique.) THANK YOU in advance!

You know when you stare at a picture for too long that you don't know what to do with it any longer? ... Yeah I think that happens to me all to often.

I'm trying to figure out what the thing above the baby's head is.

Also, you can see some PS remnants around her head.

I'm trying to figure out what the thing above the baby's head is.

Also, you can see some PS remnants around her head.

That's actually a tree stump (this photo is cut in way too close to see that its a tree) and her hair is a little messed up, I can't imagine getting it out with cloning or healing. Any ideas?

It looks like there are random areas of yellowing on mom's face?

Can you share the original? I'm not sure what the cause is whether actually her skin or something you did in the processing.

Can you share the original? I'm not sure what the cause is whether actually her skin or something you did in the processing.

I can share the original of this edit, however I don't think it is "THE" out of the camera original.
Like I was saying before, I took these a long time ago and I think I did some playing around with colors in my D3000, because it is wayyyy desaturated. (you know how it gives you some basic touching up options in the camera? can't think of how else I ended up with this)

Anyway, here it is :)

$CSC_5369.JPG

I think you need to play with your color sliders in lightroom.. it looks like it took her oranges and made them really yellow maybe because I can see those same kinda areas visible on that other version you posted.

If you used the "saturation" to bring color back to the image that is likely what made it bad. Saturation does funky things to skin tones. Try vibrance instead of saturation and play with your color sliders in HSL tab.

I'm not an expert on post-processing, but the crop is too tight, and the DoF is too small, as the fathers face is slightly out of focus. Next time, try stopping down the aperture a bit, or taking the photo from an angle where all subjects are the same distance from the lens.

A really quick play.. I feel so lost in lightroom 3 on this PC.. lol I work in 5 on my editing computer.

$CSC_5369-2.jpg

A really quick play.. I feel so lost in lightroom 3 on this PC.. lol I work in 5 on my editing computer.

View attachment 77854

Thanks a lot for all the critique! It's very appreciated :)

Any thoughts on the color in this one? I corrected it from my Lightroom workflow of the first one that I posted in this thread. If I look closely I think I can still see the yellows, but I'm wondering if it's because I'm LOOKING for them... if that makes sense.
$Baby Leo 001.jpg

I'm not an expert on post-processing, but the crop is too tight, and the DoF is too small, as the fathers face is slightly out of focus. Next time, try stopping down the aperture a bit, or taking the photo from an angle where all subjects are the same distance from the lens.

Thank you, I completely agree with you! :) I took this more than a year ago, I'm just trying to see if I can correct an old set of photos with new post-process knowledge.
Just for kicks :) heheh
Since then I've learned that there are set-backs when shooting group portraits completely wide open. :-(

View attachment 77854

Thanks a lot for all the critique! It's very appreciated :)

Any thoughts on the color in this one? I corrected it from my Lightroom workflow of the first one that I posted in this thread. If I look closely I think I can still see the yellows, but I'm wondering if it's because I'm LOOKING for them... if that makes sense.
View attachment 77855

I think you might need to calibrate your monitor, because the colors on your edit is way off. play with the vibrance slider and stay away from the saturation slider like frommrstomommy mentioned

I can share the original of this edit, however I don't think it is "THE" out of the camera original.
Like I was saying before, I took these a long time ago and I think I did some playing around with colors in my D3000, because it is wayyyy desaturated. (you know how it gives you some basic touching up options in the camera? can't think of how else I ended up with this)

Anyway, here it is :)

View attachment 77845

This is the best "edit" yet--the no-edit-edit, or the first-look edit...whatever you want to call it, this version has the fewest objectionable image quality flaws, up to and including Post #14. Excessive saturation in any one color can reaaaaaaly mess up, or improve a photo. In the first picture, the OP, the green saturation was way too high, and the yellow in the woman's face was pretty strong. The "original edit" or the "first-look" edit has a very believable, digital camera capture color palette that looks, well, "of this era". But the white object, I guess the tree stump...maybe you could select that with the magic wand, and fill it with green, and get by with just a little bit of work on the baby;'s hair, closest to Dad's head, where the white would cause issues. Keep the image small, and the flaws will be minimized. If you selected the man's face, then applied Sharpen, then faded that, then repeated that, you might be able to make him look actually in-focus, and then print on a small canvas, and this would look "okay".

Most reactions

New Topics

Back