I am the Lord thy Mod
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
so...what work apparently forgot to tell us, was that there are several courses we are required to take now that we have finished the 100 hour critical care course. NOW we get to take two neonatal courses. both this month.
I wish I could just do them next year. I renew my Paramedic cert. this year and thanks to the CCT course, I already have 3 times the CEU's I need to recert, and the neonate CEU's wont count for my next renewal if I take them this year. :grumpy:

$nrp.jpg

Also....for those of you who are clinically aware....
heres how part of MY shift went yesterday...

Patient is hypertensive with a B/P of 198/98.
So I check the med list and see lisinopril. (a blood pressure med)
i go to talk to the nurse at the nursing home, and heres what ensues.

Me: the pt is a bit hypertensive, had she had her blood pressure meds today?
Nurse: oh, she isn't on any blood pressure meds.
Me: so...the lisinopril has been discontinued?
Nurse: no, she got that this morning.
Me: :facepalm:

we'll help you don't worry! :hug::

as for the nurse, we can't help her, but for you again :hug::

Maybe if you'd called it Zestril she would have known what you meant. lol.

(Is it any wonder nursing home care gets "a rap"???)

This seems a little like an alternate universe, more than enough continuing ed credits, but something else still to take, yep... been there done that and now done with it. Hang in there.

I didn't understand anything you wrote.

Work sucks I am guessing?

tumblr_lguvqwyijh1qd1fjko1_500.gif

well, it was labeled "lisinopril" on the PT's med list.
I dont know what scares me more.
the thought of the nurse not knowing what meds the PT is currently taking,
or the nurse administering meds unaware of what they are or what they do.

something to look forward to in our old age I guess.

Yeah...the not knowing which end is up thing is...scary. For those not familiar with it, lisinopril is the generic name for Zestril, and it is one of the MOST-common hypertension medications and has been for years...I mean this is like not knowing that acetaminophin = Tylenol = analgesic ....geeze...

Yeah...the not knowing which end is up thing is...scary. For those not familiar with it, lisinopril is the generic name for Zestril, and it is one of the MOST-common hypertension medications and has been for years...I mean this is like not knowing that acetaminophin = Tylenol = analgesic ....geeze...

not to sound like i am making excuses for nursing homes...but...
I know how it is...understaffed, overworked...maybe ONE actual RN on shift at any given time and an army of "techs" handing out meds and wiping...well, you know.
however... most of the people in these nursing facilities are unable to care for themselves, some physically, some mentally, and they absolutely rely on the staff to make the right decisions for them, to advocate for them, and to make sure they are getting the proper care. It doesn't always happen.

one of the biggest issues I see, is nursing homes filled with staff that are just burnt out, and only give half a rats *** anymore, at best.
there are several very large nursing facilities that we have contracts with that have changed names several times over the last 5 years...
we hear about some lawsuit, or the state does an inspection and discovers a horror show, and the next think we know...the place is "under new management" with a
new name and a fresh coat of paint.

I've done both those courses and they're not too bad. Neither is too in-depth. STABLE is geared for emergencies in the mother and NRP is all about saving that new minutes old infant. Just think about the last time you got to deliver a baby in the rig and try to get back into that mindset. These classes WILL eventually help you save a life, maybe two. I think the books are terrible though. Good luck!

I've done both those courses and they're not too bad. Neither is too in-depth. STABLE is geared for emergencies in the mother and NRP is all about saving that new minutes old infant. Just think about the last time you got to deliver a baby in the rig and try to get back into that mindset. These classes WILL eventually help you save a life, maybe two. I think the books are terrible though. Good luck!

just remember the golden rule....drop a baby, fake a seizure!

Hahahaha. I love that rule. Haven't needed it yet. Though I had an intern pass out and almost face plant into a bloody blown out vagina after a delivery. Just a reminder, July is coming, stay healthy!

Well, I understood it and it IS scary. Was that really a nurse - as in, an RN or LPN? Or was it some MA who was manning the desk, and might not be up on many of these meds?

About the certs, isn't there anyone (HR, or administrative staff) at work who can review your current CEU status and be willing to work with you on this? I'd beg on bended knee if I were in your shoes. It's not like you won't take them, you'd just be asking to defer them so those units can be put to better use for you, per calender year. They know how this stuff works - it's not an unreasonable request.

Well, I understood it and it IS scary. Was that really a nurse - as in, an RN or LPN? Or was it some MA who was manning the desk, and might not be up on many of these meds?

About the certs, isn't there anyone (HR, or administrative staff) at work who can review your current CEU status and be willing to work with you on this? I'd beg on bended knee if I were in your shoes. It's not like you won't take them, you'd just be asking to defer them so those units can be put to better use for you, per calender year. They know how this stuff works - it's not an unreasonable request.

it was an actual RN. the CNA i was initially dealing with didnt know anything about why the pt was going to the ER.
as for waiting on the classes....thats a big cup of NOPE on that one. our clinical director wants all the new CCT medics to get them done ASAP.
the CCT only has to be renewed every 3 years, where my paramedic is 2 years so...hopefully the next time i have to redo the neonatal classes it will be when i actually need CEU's again.

I worked in a nursing home for a summer and it was damn scary!!
Kudos to people that do it! Tough job.

it was an actual RN. the CNA i was initially dealing with didnt know anything about why the pt was going to the ER.
as for waiting on the classes....thats a big cup of NOPE on that one. our clinical director wants all the new CCT medics to get them done ASAP.
the CCT only has to be renewed every 3 years, where my paramedic is 2 years so...hopefully the next time i have to redo the neonatal classes it will be when i actually need CEU's again.

Well pooh. Hope the timing works out better next time.

Guess the RN got educated on the meds...but seriously, that's kind of disturbing. Can't expect them to know everything, but flipping through professional journals to keep up with things isn't asking too much, either.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back