Photos NOT OK to edit
The weather was nice today after work so i went for a quick field trip. \

Thanks for commenting

4519188417_0dc4646957_b.jpg
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2695/4519188417_0dc4646957_b.jpg

4519833256_bbe2bcdd61_b.jpg

4519823800_b18304b7d9_b.jpg

4519826826_fc6739f2ec_b.jpg

Cemetaries are extremely tough to shoot. By and large, most of the material in them (tombstones and such) are actually fairly dull and predictable. Some of the statuary and such is interesting, but then you have all the challenges of taking a picture (essentially) of someone else's artwork and making it meaningful for you and in your own style.

Chiller (who is no longer on here, but rather lurks in other darker places) is the absolute hands-down master of this stuff. Find him and study some of what he does (don't copy it!) :) and you'll learn some things.

In my experience I have found it is a LOT about finding dramatic light (not harsh mid-day sun, mind you), dramatic and interesting backgrounds (such as moody skies and such), and other things that lend emotion or feeling to an otherwise dead and boring expanse of stones.

I think you have started with some of that with your first two shots... but I don't think you've quite captured it. Or at least, I'm not personally feeling it.

If you'll forgive me posting an image in your thread, here is an example of one of my favorites:

Concord%20Cemetary%20Angels%20-%20082.jpg

I quite like what you tried to bring about in the first photo, however I feel the cross is too far in the dark here, some more reflection of the sun should be brought out.

The second does not appeal to me personally, at all. Unfortunately, I can't see the third as a success (it is a spin off of the first, I gather), as it is simply too dark and more light ought to reflect from the cross.

The last may have a meaning to you, but it does not transpire to the viewer, I'm afraid. (I vividly remember my discussion with a former member on here who's name/handle I forgot, about a graveyard relief that had quite a bit of a meaning to me, it touched me deeply when I saw that one, but was told my photo of it was flat and boring, but I then got explained why it seemed to be boring to the viewer - I tried to be there in more favourable light, alas!, it has never happened since I went to that cemetary...).

Cemetaries are extremely tough to shoot. By and large, most of the material in them (tombstones and such) are actually fairly dull and predictable. Some of the statuary and such is interesting, but then you have all the challenges of taking a picture (essentially) of someone else's artwork and making it meaningful for you and in your own style.

Chiller (who is no longer on here, but rather lurks in other darker places) is the absolute hands-down master of this stuff. Find him and study some of what he does (don't copy it!) :) and you'll learn some things.

In my experience I have found it is a LOT about finding dramatic light (not harsh mid-day sun, mind you), dramatic and interesting backgrounds (such as moody skies and such), and other things that lend emotion or feeling to an otherwise dead and boring expanse of stones.

I think you have started with some of that with your first two shots... but I don't think you've quite captured it. Or at least, I'm not personally feeling it.

If you'll forgive me posting an image in your thread, here is an example of one of my favorites:

Concord%20Cemetary%20Angels%20-%20082.jpg

it is true that the sky was kinda boring, its was BLUE! and the shots were made at around 5 PM with alot of sun. Thanks for the tips.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back