CF Cards, 4-8gb

logan9967

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I just started shooting RAW and noticed how few (About 130) pictures I can hold. I need to get a new CF card at minimum 4gb so in the 4-8gb range, since there isn't much of a price jump.

Anyway, anyone have any problems with higher gb cf cards? or does anyone want to suggest any? I'm thinking either San Disk or Promaster.

Thanks everyone

I prefer the Higher end SanDisk or Lexars.

For an 8mp camera, I still prefer a handful of 1gb cards simply because you limit your loss if/when a card gets damaged or corrupted.

that's what i mean, have any cards ever failed on you?? if they have a tendency to then i would rather have more 1gb's then a 4-8gb thats going to break

All cards will fail. It's a limitation of flash memory. I think you get 100000 re-writes out of them. I've taken 50000 photos on the one card and I just replaced it.

You could also try taking more care when photographing rather than taking so many photos only to delete half of them on the computer. Afterall what would you do in the film days? (Disregard this comment if you're shooting sports or weddings)

thanks for the tips! i didn't know that they actually had a fail estimate to them. and yeah it does make sense to limit pictures, especially since my laptop only has about 30gb hard disc left

thanks for the tips! i didn't know that they actually had a fail estimate to them. and yeah it does make sense to limit pictures, especially since my laptop only has about 30gb hard disc left
You should be saving on an external harddrive anyway ;)

I use a handful these in 1gb sizes:

SanDisk_UltraII_SDPlus_4GB_130.jpg

with an Epson image tank.

If i were you, i would just get a couple of 1 gb or 1GB & 2 GB cards, and also, the larger card u get the slower the writing is going to become, so its better to have a couple of fast cards than have one large, expensive & sluggish card.

Sony and a Card manufacturing company(dont precisely remember which one), were coming out with 16, 32 gb card and they said the capacity would double every 3 months!

In case anyone is interested, New Egg dot com has 16gb CF cards for $76.99 - that's 624 RAW images!

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820208337

I have one of these Transcends in an 8GB. I use it when I shoot lots of pictures that don't matter a whole bunch, but the inexpensive price tag makes me not want to use it for one-time events.

or two...
(12,000 lost pictures, 4 lost website project files, and a year of lost financial documents taught me a good lesson)

...the larger card u get the slower the writing is going to become...

not necessarily...

i have a 200gb external but i backup'ed my other computer with it before my laptop and i was going to take it, But then the harddisc on the other computer failed!! so until i get it fixed and put the info back on i can't use the external :(

also my 1gb card now is aging, i have no idea how close is to its fail time but its near. so a new card (set of cards) is coming. i guess i'll stick with san disc. and i'm thinking two more 1gb's and one 2gb. i'll keep the 1gb's in the bag for overflow or vice versa

not necessarily...

Well, yeah. but considering that the larger fast cards are expensive and the less expensive ones are not as fast, Its worth getting a couple of 1 or 2 GB cards, also gives the flexibility of continuing to snap while a certian lot of pictures are being transfered. By fast i mean the writing speed.

I wanted a 4 GB card 3 months back. I got a min 6mb/sec 2 GB Toshiba with 5 years warranty for $20, but a similar 4GB card was more than twice as expensive, the cheaper one though was a class 2 type with a write speed of 2mb/second.

i have a 200gb external but i backup'ed my other computer with it before my laptop and i was going to take it, But then the harddisc on the other computer failed!! so until i get it fixed and put the info back on i can't use the external :(

Get a DVD writer for ur computer and back up all the external's data on some good quality DVD's like MoserBayer ect.
That way you can free space to work with, unless you access all data regularly.

this is where it gets much more fun :D
my laptop is a salvaged toshiba, way back when it burnt out in my possesion and i fixed just recently to get it back working perfect now. well anyone when i was fixing it i messed somthing up in my dvd burner and it doesnt work :p and my other dvd burner is on my pc which has the harddisc failure. but when i get it working thats a good idea thanks :p

Most reactions

New Topics

Back