Change angle of view in post

gold333

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
A 16mm image is an image with a certain amount of barrel distortion because it is a wide angle image.

A 24mm image is an image with slightly less barrel distortion.

Photoshop allows me to distort, skew, warp images any way I like. In photoshop I can turn them inside out for discussions sake.

I'm looking for a way to distort a 16mm image so that it is distorted in such a way that the barrel distortion it displays is equivalent to a 24mm image. I'm assuming this will be a variation on the "pinch" feature. But I need to be exact.

The image is a 16mm shot of a 2/3's view of a person against a gray sweep at 3 feet distance. The person's features are showing a little too much barrel distortion for my liking, exactly the difference between 16mm and 24mm.

You're not seeing barrel distortion, you're seeing perspective distortion. You're shooting your subject too closely.

How about just get a 16mm lens that doesn't have barrel distortion. I'm curious why you don't just remove the distortion for both lenses. In any case there's no set formula you can apply since the distortion you're seeing is a function of the design of your specific brand/model lenses and not a typical characteristic of all 16mm or all 24mm lenses. You can get versions of those that are without barrel distortion.

Joe

You're not seeing barrel distortion, you're seeing perspective distortion. You're shooting your subject too closely.

Sigh.

I know.

I'm looking for a way to distort a 16mm image so that it is distorted in such a way that the perspective distortion it displays is equivalent to a 24mm image.

I'm assuming this will be a variation on the "pinch" feature. But I need to be exact.

Lenses don't distort perspective.

Joe

Sigh.

I know.

I'm looking for a way to distort a 16mm image so that it is distorted in such a way that the perspective distortion it displays is equivalent to a 24mm image.

I'm assuming this will be a variation on the "pinch" feature. But I need to be exact.

Try Lens Distortion. But I guess we would know what software you're trying to create this effect with.

Sigh.

I know.

Then you'll have to move the camera.

Joe

Am I really being this unclear?

Ok again, the shoot was in the past. I cannot reshoot, as the topic says this is about post.

Again: I cannot reshoot, this is about post.

I wanted a certain amount of distortion in the image I shot.

I shot with 16mm and got perspective distortion that a 16 millimeter lens gives you.

I should have shot with 24mm because that is the distortion that I should have wanted.

Now in post:

I want to change the perspective on the image from being 16mm equivalent to being a 24mm equivalent amount of distortion.

This is something akin to the "pinch" feature in Photoshop but I need to be precise and not do it manually.

I'm looking for help from someone that would know how to do this.

PS: The software doesn't matter, money is no issue, I just need to be precise.

Ok again, the shoot was in the past. I cannot reshoot, as the topic says this is about post.

I shot with 16mm and got perspective distortion that a 16 millimeter lens gives you.

I should have shot with 24mm because that is the distortion that I should have wanted.

Now in post:

I want to change the perspective on the image from being 16mm equivalent to being a 24mm equivalent amount of distortion.

This is something akin to the "pinch" feature in Photoshop but I need to be precise and not do it manually.

Lenses don't distort perspective. So your 16mm lens did not distort perspective. The perspective was rendered in a way you're not happy with by the position of your camera. You can't change that after the fact.

Joe

Lenses don't distort perspective. So your 16mm lens did not distort perspective. The perspective was rendered in a way you're not happy with by the position of your camera. You can't change that after the fact.

Joe

So it's impossible to defish a fisheye lens shot? Funny, I can do that in post.

And I can adjust the perspective distortion in an image as well in post.

Joe

So it's impossible to defish a fisheye lens shot? Funny, I can do that in post.

And I can adjust the perspective distortion in an image as well in post.

defishin a fisheye is a different process that does not alter the perspective rendered by the camera placement. And yes you can distort the rendered perspective in software but the rendered perspective determined by the camera placement is just that and in and of itself it is not a distortion.

Joe

Now in post:

I'm looking for help from someone that would know how to do this.

PS: The software doesn't matter, money is no issue, I just need to be precise.

You may be able to achieve something along the line of what you're imagining using this: Introduction | www.dxo.com

Joe

defishin a fisheye is a different process that does not alter the perspective rendered by the camera placement. And yes you can distort the rendered perspective in software but the rendered perspective determined by the camera placement is just that and in and of itself it is not a distortion.

Joe

Are we still talking about perspective distortion?

If so, it can be adjusted in post. More or less barrelling is easy to do.

.........PS: The software doesn't matter,........

Well, yes it does. In order to give you precise instructions, we need to know the software you're using.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back