Changing my business name, need ideas and input.

The biggest issue for me is I cut off his ears and his whiskers and there's a weird tint to it. I also think I think I took it too close up, some areas of his body are blurred and that was not intentional.

The biggest issue is it is just a picture of a cat you snapped. It doesn't show any skill or anything.

The biggest issue for me is I cut off his ears and his whiskers and there's a weird tint to it. I also think I think I took it too close up, some areas of his body are blurred and that was not intentional.

The biggest issue is it is just a picture of a cat you snapped. It doesn't show any skill or anything.

She is a beginner... and it was not meant to show skill. She even said it was one of her first shots with the camera.

I'm going to upload a photo I took of my cat the first day I got my camera, it has some issues but it's one of my favorites.

What that image shows is a lack of understanding of some of the basic concepts in photography, and not being familiar with the camera... something that we ALL had to learn. It is a basic everyday beginner pic.. that is all. And it is no worse or better than the beginner pics most of us took. Skill is developed over time... it is not something one instantly has. I doubt that the first images of most here were any better!

Were yours? I notice that you have never started any threads, and don't appear to have ever posted any images for C&C! So she has you beat there....

Last edited:
"She is a beginner... and it was not meant to show skill. She even said it was one of her first shots with the camera". What is it supposed to show?

"She is a beginner... and it was not meant to show skill. She even said it was one of her first shots with the camera". What is it supposed to show?

Where her skill level is.. or the lack of it. So that we have an idea where she needs help.. that is what C&C is all about.

Just telling someone that an image shows no skill means nothing (especially when she never said it did) unless you have an idea of how to help and make that offer! Evaluating an image so that you know where to start helping someone means a lot!

(curious... HAVE you ever posted an image for C&C? If so, I would love to see it... and evaluate it for you! ;) )

Last edited:
This forum is hard on people that lack skill, but still want a paycheck. It is just the nature of the business.

Couldn't agree with this statement more. When someone comes in asking for advice on getting their business of the ground, and their pictures SUCK... I almost have to pause for a second to let the giggling get out of my system before I, ummm, critique their work. Bluntly. Too many people who have no business charging a penny for their work have been dealt a severe disservice by their friends and family who have given them the impression that their work is significantly better than it is. I appreciate that this forum doesn't have any room for coddling, empty compliments or other nonsense that won't help anyone grow.

I received the same treatment the first few sets I posted. It sucked at first, but I really appreciated the honest critique.

... Now the fat head rookies that come in here with an attitude when they get told their poop doesn't stink. I take great pleasure in...educating them on the reality of their work compared to the expectations of a discerning paying client. Some people just need to get verbally clubbed by anonymous pro photogs to beat the baseless pride out of them...

That said...glad you came back Shannon. Hope you find the encouragement and critique you're looking for.

A little bit of color correction can work wonders .....

bamboo.jpg

Beautiful lady. I love Dilute Calicos.

He is actually a ragdoll, sometimes he acts more like a dog than a cat lol. Here's one from today, feel free to critique.$IMG_5335.jpg

Well, I missed that! It sure looked like 3 distinct colors on the head and that's normally the mark of a Calico.

Oh and Exif on this is: f/7.1 shutter speed: 1/50 ISO:200 and I was using the flash.

I'd crop this one a little different. And I'd do something about the direct flash. Make a little bounce card with a business card or something so you can get the light from rightin front. This will also soften the light. White balance looks good to me.

Thanks Mike, I never thought about making a bounce card, I'm definitley going to try that out! And Scott he's a Seal Lynx Bi-color ragdoll.

He is actually a ragdoll, sometimes he acts more like a dog than a cat lol. Here's one from today, feel free to critique.View attachment 49969

Shannon, If you resize your images to a decent web size (say 1024 pixels long side), and web compress them (100 to 400 kb for instance), they will load much faster! 2016 kb is not really needed for us to see the images..

Most reactions

New Topics

Back