Changing my business name, need ideas and input.

My first critique was a heart-breaker. I'd gotten into a photo class @ Maryland. I brought my ten favorite snaps in and was basically told "Eh, the exposures are OK, but there nothing here that's interesting." I almost went and dropped the class.

Luckily I got over it, listened, got a little better.

So I went to e.rose's profile and it doesn't show any of her work, maybe I'm not looking in the right spot? Also a lot of photographers in my area don't care to help and I understand why but thanks so much for all of the feedback, I do appreciate it I just needed to sleep on it a bit haha.

So I went to e.rose's profile and it doesn't show any of her work, maybe I'm not looking in the right spot? Also a lot of photographers in my area don't care to help and I understand why but thanks so much for all of the feedback, I do appreciate it I just needed to sleep on it a bit haha.

There are links in her signature - look near the bottom of her posts.

Shannon, we all have our ups and downs and have all started from the beginning. This forum is hard on people that lack skill, but still want a paycheck. It is just the nature of the business. You have to put in the time before you make the dime. We would be happy to help you along the way though. My advice would be to stick around and take in as much as you can because there is a lot to learn here if you are willing to accept it.

That's the plan Kathy! It's not just a bout the money either. Photography has made me seen life in a whole different way and has shown me there are still things in life I haven't discovered yet. Lighting is my biggest issue and I have noticed some of my shots look out of focus so those are things I need to work on among other things. Photography brings me joy and I've never been so passionate about something in my entire life and I'm not ready to give up on it just yet.

If it makes you feel any better, in a few months you can be on the side that is beating on the latest Facebook Pro to show up ;)

Seriously everyone that is willing to learn goes through this same thing at one point or another. Very few are born prodigies yet after a certain amount of time most begin to feel that they are quite good and that their photographic efforts will stack up against anyone's. It takes a learning experience like this to make most of us realize that we aren't the greatest thing to ever pick up a camera.

You are handling it better than many. Many go through this same, usually unintentional, brutal initiation and are never seen around here again. You've shown that you have what it takes by coming back and you are certainly welcome to stay, post what you feel are good, and allow us to tear them to shreds ;) It may be blunt at times but if you read between the lines you'll see that it is intended to help.

Thanks Scott, I'm definitley going to stay. I'm going to play around with my camera today and get some shots of my kitties for everyone to "tear to shreds" haha.

Thanks Scott, I'm definitley going to stay. I'm going to play around with my camera today and get some shots of my kitties for everyone to "tear to shreds" haha.

We seldom tear cat shots to shreds. Too many cat lovers around here and to be honest I don't think I've ever seen a bad cat shot, they are all good in one way or another.

Yay - kitties. If you REALLY want to win us over, post some bacon, too.

I'm not at a computer right now, but I wanted to jump on and say, "YAY!!! Welcome back!!"

The fact that you came back and are ready and willing to learn puts you WORLDS ahead of everyone else starting out. :hug::

I'm not at a computer right now, but I wanted to jump on and say, "YAY!!! Welcome back!!"

The fact that you came back and are ready and willing to learn puts you WORLDS ahead of everyone else starting out. :hug::
Cannot quote this for the truth too many times!

Shannon, I'm very glad to see you return - there is a HUGE knowledge base on this forum, as well as links to many great resources (and some pretty direct people). One thing that may interest you is our mentor program. Basically you read through the list of bios and contact a mentor you feel is appropriate to your needs and style, and see if he/she is available to 'take you on'. As well, look around your area for local camera clubs, they all have at least a few aging old codgers like CGipson1 ( :greenpbl: ) who while kind of cranky, actually know a lot, and can help you a LOT!

Also, keep posting images here for critique. You will likely feel somewhat bruised after the first couple, but as others have said, what doesn't kill you will make you stronger. In the meantime, I strongly suggest you shut-up shop for a while. If you want to do pro bono shoots for friends and family in return for a nice meal or something, great, but working with the public is a whole different matter. While there are some here who advocate just going ahead, I feel it is impossible to over-stress the importance of business planning, and having all the right licenses and insurance. There was member here a year or two back, similar to yourself who had run an 'under-the-table' business for a couple of years and was now being hounded by municipal authorities for back taxes, fines, etc. The single biggest favour you can do for yourself, if you truly want to run a business is pick up a catalogue from your local adult-ed facility and take some courses on business and entrepreneurship! Yes, they might cost, but they will be worth EVERY penny!!!

That's the plan Kathy! It's not just a bout the money either. Photography has made me seen life in a whole different way and has shown me there are still things in life I haven't discovered yet. Lighting is my biggest issue and I have noticed some of my shots look out of focus so those are things I need to work on among other things. Photography brings me joy and I've never been so passionate about something in my entire life and I'm not ready to give up on it just yet.

You can enjoy taking pictures as a hobby. You don't have to make it a "business", despite the "p" word.

I love photography and it's been a hobby for years but I just recently got a nice camera, I figured if its something I love and if I can get my skills to where they need to be why not have a business. It's not top on my priority list right now. I really want to learn different techniques and work on improving. A lot of photographers in this area over edit photos and I unfortunately started to also. The best photos I have seen is when they look natural and look like they haven't been through photoshop a billion times. I'm going to upload a photo I took of my cat the first day I got my camera, it has some issues but it's one of my favorites.

"I figured if its something I love and if I can get my skills to where they need to be why not have a business" . Because a business isn't necessarily all about skills, and if you love it now, you won't necessarily love it when you're doing it 24 hours a day. Things you love can be hobbies. Something that takes your mind off work.

Here's Bamboo. $bamboo.jpg

Most reactions

New Topics

Back