abraxas

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
420-bw-r6913.jpg

Looks good for rockclimbing.

Interesting.

It'd be nice for scrambling if it weren't so easy to walk up the side :) -Thanks.

I'm thinking the image gives a more powerful impression from aways back- about 6-8 feet from the monitor gives it a considerably different look.

-

nice perspective, I like the weathered look of the rocks it gives a very organic feel to the image...the choice of b&w works for me too.

Thank you Roger. The rock was about a quarter mile up a brushy canyon. At first I tried to catch a scene in the other direction, then turned around and snapped a shot. Didn't work. Moved closer. Didn't work. Moved closer. Didn't work. Kept doing this ad nausem until I was right on the rock and cursing myself for not bringing my gloves (it was stupid cold). Usually I don't do any hiking without them, especially if I may have to scramble on granite/sandstone. Figures- "Just take me second or two", I thought (30 minutes total).

:)

Stange shot - it looks a little dull to me, how about some contast in them rocks?

Stange shot - it looks a little dull to me, how about some contast in them rocks?

I like the -strange- and think I captured what I was looking for in the image.

Anyway, thanks for your thoughts on the shot. The sandstone formation that this rock is part of doesn't have all that much contrast. I pulled what was important to me out though, and that was a somewhat anthropomorphic quality of the rock. The context that this photo will become part of is, local folklore has it that these rocks moan during the high winds that occur in the valley (think of it like blowing over a bottle opening). These portholes and others in the numerous other locations and angles in the overall formation 'voice' what has been described as a chant. Very strange and very perfect for a project I'm working on.

Here's another shot that a few folks have mentioned, "needs more contrast";

http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=106535

Remind me of the movie Labyrinth. At some point the girl falls down a shaft where hands which protude from the wall hold her and form faces that speak to her...
In this image, it seems like the holes will start talking.

Remind me of the movie Labyrinth. At some point the girl falls down a shaft where hands which protude from the wall hold her and form faces that speak to her...
In this image, it seems like the holes will start talking.

Cool. Sometimes wandering around this place certain corners turned and glimpses of shadows can be quite startling.

I'm really diggin' the perspective on this one, man. The patterns of wear and the textures time have given this formation are quite unique. I can only imagine with the winds just right, it could be a spiritual experience hearing the rocks chant.

Well done.

At first I tried to catch a scene in the other direction, then turned around and snapped a shot. Didn't work. Moved closer. Didn't work. Moved closer. Didn't work. Kept doing this ad nausem until I was right on the rock and cursing myself for not bringing my gloves (it was stupid cold). Usually I don't do any hiking without them, especially if I may have to scramble on granite/sandstone. Figures- "Just take me second or two", I thought (30 minutes total).

I'm glad to read that so much effort goes into your shots and it's not just a case of you just walzing about while clicking at things and scoring fabulous photos. :thumbup:

I really like the texture on that rock...

Thank you.

I'm really diggin' the perspective on this one, man. The patterns of wear and the textures time have given this formation are quite unique. I can only imagine with the winds just right, it could be a spiritual experience hearing the rocks chant.

Well done.

Thanks Kundalini,

I'm not sure if I've ever heard it- My hearing is not so good, but the 'spiritual' I can vouch for. Although daily, literally thousands and thousands of people pass by this spot within a mile or two away, up close to the formations is a whole different and solitary world. Maybe the droning I hear is the freeway, maybe it is the rocks, maybe it is something I broke in my head :). I like the slipping down a little dirt road, hiking a little bit and wandering around in the tall brush and washes. Makes me wonder why everyone isn't down there. Of course, maybe it's the ragged old guy wandering around?

I'm glad to read that so much effort goes into your shots and it's not just a case of you just walzing about while clicking at things and scoring fabulous photos. :thumbup:

Wow, thank you. I enjoy planning my forays into 'nothing' and 'nowhere.' I've studied anything and everything about the area for 12 years now and try to figure out where I should want to be and when. In fact, I here's a brief itinerary for the trip I'm leaving on -probably- later today.

85 miles east, stop at lava flows to check out equipment and loosen my head, get warmed up shooting some shots, kill some time. (lava flows may have been active up to 1,000-600 years ago). Check into 'suspect' motel. Go out and shoot abandoned buildings and cemetery in near-ghost town. Refuel, go back to room, clean equipment.

Wake up predawn go back to cemetery and abandoned junk cars (facing east). Drive 90 miles east and document certain peaks in Providence Mountain ranges as described in a government geology pamphlet I'm working on for my web site. Stop by ranger station, raid their literature, buy books, talk up the ranger, bleed for info on whatever. Take back 4x4 road across mountain pass (and photo document) stop at springs near top of the pass. Check out terrain for later trip- look for prehistoric petroglyphs. Stop at iron ore mine ruins. Photograph sand dunes formed in valley coming out other side of pass. Head northwest 60 miles to town, get ready for next day. Will probably stop here-n-there looking for fossils at various points on the way to town.

Next day- wake up before dawn, drive 20 miles east to hiking trail. Hike short trail to top of small mountain peak. Drive to small ghost town ruins and explore. Leave ghost town on historic wagon/indian trail. Drive back country roads to 1850-60s military sites, and another lava flow bed/cinder cone field. Follow historic road to ghost town site (60-80 miles roughly along 4x4 road). Leave ghost town and look for iron megaphone built on hill for no known reason. Drive south along old abandoned railroad bed to spring and look for petroglyphs (rock drawings). Drive 30-40 miles south on 4x4 backroads to town I spent first night at.

This is an 'exploratory' expedition. Where I become familiar with the terrain and conditions and stick mainly to documentation shots. No real hurry and everything is very loose. I can stay an extra day or two or pull out early. I try to get familiar with where the sun will be when and during what season. Since we have had a decent amount of rain this winter, spring wildflowers should be pretty good. Then I'll probably do more -art- shots and take longer and be in less of a hurry because I'll know the areas I need to be in. I'll be doing some camping then too.

Since I know some of the areas I'll be through and what's nearby where I'll be staying I should be able to get some good shots before the good light goes away. Hope so.

I got a GPS for Christmas. Will use it to find the megaphone. Other than that I'll not only know if I'm lost, but also how I got lost. I'm not sure I like the idea of using it to get un-lost because I find the coolest stuff when I have no idea where I am.

Whoa, got up early to plan this :). Done!

But yep, it's all work.

http://digital-desert.com
http://mojavedesert.net

Most reactions

New Topics

Back