Chasing the Light

Gotta tell ya Chris. I am impressed and jealous of your image to the point where I just ordered a wide angle lens for my M/F camera. If you keep posting this stuff ... you'll drive me to the poor house. (Make that the poorer ... poorier ... poverty ... living on the street ... house.)

I wish that distant lighting strike were a bit more visible...

Like Gary A, I too was surprised at how still the grasses appear to be with such a long exposure! And although I am not as big a contrast freak as Gary, I do think a grade more worth of SNAP! might help.,..or even just a few well-placed bits of dodging to sort of break things up a little...and maybe get that lighting bolt to be 3x brighter by zooming in on it to 300% and selecting it and almost blowing it out to 255?

I'll try on the lightning but it was the last strike of many during that long exposure and not so clearly defined. The stillness of the grass was because there wasn't a breath of air until about two minutes after the exposure was made and the rain front caught up to where I was set up. I'll work on the snap aspect and I think I can get that to work in the foreground grasses. I think you'll like the new version when I post.

bulldurham said:
I'll try on the lightning but it was the last strike of many during that long exposure and not so clearly defined. The stillness of the grass was because there wasn't a breath of air until about two minutes after the exposure was made and the rain front caught up to where I was set up. I'll work on the snap aspect and I think I can get that to work in the foreground grasses. I think you'll like the new version when I post.

YES!!!! I just came from the Chasing The Light Redux post, and I must say, the increased emphasis on the lighting strike is every bit as good as I had thought it might be--it REALLY elevates the picture. Even though it's just a teeny-tiny object within the frame, having the lighting strike be very clear reallllly boosts the shot.

Chasing the Light Redux Photography Forum

I like the ooz. If this was my image, (I wish it was), I'd dodge out the berm a bit, kick up the contrast (I'm a contrast freak). But to my eye, the lack of contrast, where I would want/expect contrast, builds up a tension ... I appreciate this self-generated contradiction. I am surprised with the motionless character of the grasses after a nine minute 45 second exposure. I'd love to see this in print.

I would appreciate an edit showing me what you mean. I did knock down the brightness in the middle-ground berm by about 15% and burned in the foreground by almost 25% with a bit of contrast in each area. I too am a contrast freak and have been trying to tone it down a bit as sometimes I tend to go overboard.

Okay, this is a very rough take of a bit of dodging mainly on the berm but also on some parts of the water.

Chasing-the-Light.jpg

For my tastes, I think the hot spot in the clouds is a tad too hot. I like the lightning in the redux. But by bringing up the berm ... I think you lose a lot of that sullen, overcast moodiness which really grabbed me tightly in the original.

I initially did some global manipulations, which was a mistake ... I should have left your original clouds alone and just screwed around with the part below the horizon line.

Most reactions

Back