Chasing Waterfalls in a Stormy Desert

mgirl

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I live in the desert, and cold, rainy, dreary days are few and far between. When they do come, I love to go out in the rain, and find waterfalls. It seems to turn our dry, dusty desert into paradise. I tried to capture some of that beauty here... Please feel free to be honest.

1. This one is my favorite of the day:

2. I liked the strips of color on the rocks from the rain on this one:

3. A zoomed in view of the first fall:

4. While not my favorite, I did love the drama with the clouds, mountains, and sandstone:

Honestly, #4 is my favorite. :smile:

I like the waterfall ones, but they need a bit more movement with longer shutter speeds. Not plasticy-looking, but just a bit of movement in the water.

Thank you wade! I struggle with the idea of softening the waterfall shots. On one hand, a well done waterfall can be absolutely stunning, on the other, I like the brute, clipped look of a the desert waterfall as sometimes, these only last seconds before they disappear. I think I will take your advice the next time it rains, and try a few with a slightly longer shutter speed. I might (most likely I will) be happily surprised.

Just try it! It won't hurt anything to give it a go, and you might be pleasantly surprised!

I enjoy looking at these amazing pictures.

#4 for me

maybe a bit saturated foreground but it's a really nice pic

What are your thoughts with the #4 De-saturated foreground?

I evebn went a bit further than you did ...This is what I was thinking of... I desaturaded red, yellow and magenta.

desaturated my way.jpg

The sky is completely blue, cold... no warm tones in the light, but still, you have a very warm foreground.
The point with this picture is also to desaturate overpowering tones. The blue is beautiful here and I accentuated that, not the foreground.

You might like something different than this and maybe it's about different tastes :)

I like what you did.

But, to me, it looses the true look. The cool thing about where I live it that everything turns more vibrant when it is wet. In this photo, I was getting just enough side light to pull those warm colors, even to the naked eye. The light was low enough that it was just warming up the foreground, and not touching the mountains.

All of that being said, the more I look at yours, the more I like it. I think you are right, it may be a taste thing! :)

Gorgeous pictures and #4 is also my favorite; I love the Southwest (and now I live here!) and monsoons are so much fun for photography.

I like that first one as is. It's nicely framed and very interesting to look at. Personally, I think the long exposure waterfall shots are nice but getting a bit cliche.

I like that first one as is. It's nicely framed and very interesting to look at. Personally, I think the long exposure waterfall shots are nice but getting a bit cliche.

My opinion of long-exposure waterfalls is that it depends on the individual falls (type and flow); some look better with long-exposure (such as cascades), others don't (such as plunge falls). I think Misty's look great as they are -- I don't think long exposure is necessary for these. #1 is definitely beautifully framed.

Wow! Thank you all so much!

Most reactions

Back