Cheap lighting equipment?

zeto88

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Is this a good bang for the buck?

Photo Studio Light Set Soft Box Lighting System -

Photo Studio Light Set Soft Box Lighting System - eBay (item 260533786337 end time Jan-15-10 21:29:04 PST)

TWO studio lighting holders with soft box (with 220~240Voltage electrical wire and Australian plug)
TWO soft box with lighting holder (size: 50cm X 70cm)
TWO lighting stand (lightings can be adjust fm 60cm to 200cm)
TWO 85W bulbs (pure white daylight)
ONE carrying case (could package all parts)

AND, it's free shipping.
Should I purchase this instead of an SB-600?
I'd like some peoples opinions. :) Thanks!

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Depends what you're going to be doing the majority of the time... SB600 is portable, versatile and can be incorporated into a studio light setup down the road... as i see you don't currently have a flash listed in your equipment lineup... I guess it all comes down to what you're going to be using it all for and what you want out of your gear...

Band promotional shoots.
More so for 'metal' bands, so mostly darkish weather.
Possibly overcast, twilight hour, night time, etc.

your gonna want both i think man.

i have an sb600 and am also getting a 3 flash set up. for band shots though, that would be alright if you are going for out door shots with some available light too. i im the hardcore scene here lol and i think i know exactly what you are aiming for. but for the most part, i think that set up would be fine for starters. would deff be better than a lot of the scene kids with a dslr that call themselves photographers lol

Oh you like hardcore aswell?
American shows would go off. I want to live in Boston. Ahaha!
I want something too last me for a long time, though should I just buy a few SB-400's with some umbrellas?

Oh you like hardcore aswell?
American shows would go off. I want to live in Boston. Ahaha!
I want something too last me for a long time, though should I just buy a few SB-400's with some umbrellas?

SB-400's do not work remotely... if you're planning on having multiple units with umbrellas, you would have to go with at least the SB-600. Here's a good info link:

Nikon SB-400

Can't you use remote triggers, etc?

not as cheap as mine...mainly because mine is made out of 5 pieces of cardboard, foil and some cloth but seriously it does the trick I will try and find some examples later

I am not an expert on lightning, but just 1 x 85w bulb for the softbox ... hum .. it is really weak.

If you are not planning to overpower the sun, a flash or flashes maybe good. And to even lower the cost of the setup, look for the Vivitar 285HV flash and use them with some ebay radio trigger, mount the flash with a light stand and modify the light with some light modifier such as soft box or umbrella.

US price:
A used Vivitar 285HV flash usually sells it at $50 (I bought 2 locally and 1 on ebay at that price and new flash is about $85 to $90)
A used light stand cost $20 or less (a new may cost about $2x to $4x, of course, there are some cost more.)
A cheap umbrella with light stand mount about $20
A decent non-professional use ebay radio trigger is about $40
So for one set, it is about $130
To add another one, it is about $110 additional since you just need to receiver for the radio trigger system.

So with 2 lights, it is about $240 with used flashes.

I am not an expert on lightning, but just 1 x 85w bulb for the softbox ... hum .. it is really weak.

If you are not planning to overpower the sun, a flash or flashes maybe good. And to even lower the cost of the setup, look for the Vivitar 285HV flash and use them with some ebay radio trigger, mount the flash with a light stand and modify the light with some light modifier such as soft box or umbrella.

US price:
A used Vivitar 285HV flash usually sells it at $50 (I bought 2 locally and 1 on ebay at that price and new flash is about $85 to $90)
A used light stand cost $20 or less (a new may cost about $2x to $4x, of course, there are some cost more.)
To add another one, it is about $110 additional since you just need to receiver for the radio trigger system.

Some of this stuff is hard to come by for cheap in AUD. but thanks!

i.e. This is not the Cactus, but the PT-04 is one of the popular ebay radio trigger. Of course I do not know how good this particular set is.

PT-04 Radio Wireless Remote Flash Strobe Trigger +3Rx - eBay, Photographic Props, Photographic Accessories, Cameras. (end time 19-Jan-10 20:07:05 AEDST)

And this one is the Cactus trigger v4
Cactus V4 wireless radio trigger hotshoe & studio flash - eBay Other Equipment, Lighting, Studio Equipment, Photographic Accessories, Cameras. (end time 21-Jan-10 07:58:50 AEDST)
Both in Au price.

I search Vivitar 285hv in ebay.com.au, but the results are mainly sellers from USA that accept international buyers.

For some cheap umbrella to play with, you can check out a Hong Kong seller DealExtreme: Cool Gadgets at the Right Price - Site-Wide Free Shipping (Page 1) Their stuff are cheaper, but of course, the quality is not as good as the name brand one. But not bad if you want to start off with a lower cost so that you can start learning now with it.

US price:

Some of this stuff is hard to come by for cheap in AUD. but thanks!

That's one of the problems with photography it is not a cheap hobby

Most reactions

New Topics

Back