cheap Nikon D300

wtbarp

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I have been told Nikon D300's are made in China and Japan. and that the one made in china is inferior. I have also been told that all D300's are made in Taiwan and now I read that some are made in the US. I know that some stores are advertising these cameras online, for about $300-$500 less than mainstream stores like B&H or Adorama. I know they don't come with a battery, charger, cables or software. Other than that are they the same camera or are there cheap Nikon nock off's and will Nikon honor the warranty.

Those cameras are from stores we like to call "bait and switch".

Bait and switch

Oh well the camera is in Japanese, the one in English is $200 more. And we suggest this tripod, bag, battery, blah blah blah. Not interested? So sorry, we appear to be backordered on that camera.

Thanks Reg I understand all that, but is the camera the same as one I would buy from adorama or are they actually made in china out of plastic?

There is only one model of D300 and none are made of plastic, it i all part a the bait and switch.

ALL D300's are the same.

I still dont get it, bait and switch, how can you get a Japanese D300? if they are all the same... Whats the difference?

Thank you everyone! Now for the hard question, I have batteries, neck straps, cables and a charger. I don't need the software. So why not buy from one of these bait and switch shops, if they will sell what they advertise? And will Nikon honor the warranty?

Thank you everyone! Now for the hard question, I have batteries, neck straps, cables and a charger. I don't need the software. So why not buy from one of these bait and switch shops, if they will sell what they advertise? And will Nikon honor the warranty?

You will be dealing with scammers!!! They will NOT sell you the camera at the cheap price they advertise. Here you can read reports of people who dealt with an infamous bait and switch scammer. Do you think it is worth the hassle?

You will be dealing with scammers!!! They will NOT sell you the camera at the cheap price they advertise. Here you can read reports of people who dealt with an infamous bait and switch scammer. Do you think it is worth the hassle?

wow! interesting link.... where is Dexter when you need him??..

I don't know Steph, it is a saving of about $600 from B&H. I've decided to put this purchase on hold for now and rethink it.
Thanks again for all the help!

You can try to purchase this camera from one of the shops, but what will happen is posted several times.
1) Place order online
2)Get an email to call and confirm order
3)Decline all additional options
4)they will tell you the camera only has asian menus, or it is made of plastic, or some other lie.
5)then they will tell you the camera is back ordered and they will call when it is in stock 6-8 weeks

So after all that you will end up with no camera and someone with less than stelar ethics will have your CC number.

If a deal is too good to be true, it is. Just think about this. If anyone could really offer this kind of pricing why would everyone here recomend the big stores.
If you can't afford to buy the new D300 for a reputable store, then you can't afford the D300.

I get it. I'll wait until I can afford it. Speed Trap your site is awesome!

If you do it just make sure you do it C.O.D. ;)

What they do is open the camera box and sell everything seperate. I don't know of any DSLR sold that does not come with the most basic accessories needed.

first you will ask: Is the D300 in stock, they they will say yes. they then will say, do you want batteries, neck straps, cables and a charger with that, your response will be: No I already have that. Then they will say: Sorry the D300 is currently backordered.
Dont buy from bait & switch scams, unless your ok with losing $300.

Most reactions

Back