Cheeeese!

Michiyo-Fir

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Volunteered to shoot a small college club event today. Unfortunately due to technical problems only had 1 speed light and the built in camera flash.

I know the lighting is not ideal (shadows on the wall).

C&C welcome!

DSC_1155 copy

Tilt is seldom a good idea! Shadows are pretty soft, focus looks good... but the tilt makes this nothing but a snapshot.

Tilt is seldom a good idea! Shadows are pretty soft, focus looks good... but the tilt makes this nothing but a snapshot.

Hmm. It's because the room was fairly small and I was using a 50mm and I wanted to get a bit more of the people's bodies in the shot.

Would this crop be a little better? (other than cropped too tightly)

I agree with Charlie that the tilt gives it more of a less formal, snapshot feel, but for this type of shot that may not be a bad thing. Here's another crop option.
$6rbzq515.jpg

It's ok for a tilt I guess, I'm 50/50 with it. If you don't have a good flash for it then trying to make it look more 'professional' by taking it leveled wouldn't seem as eye catching IMHO

Someone critiqued one of my candid hip fired shots which was incredibly crooked and not in sharp focus. They said that the tilt is like putting lipstick on a pig, it won't turn a bad photo into a good one. I somewhat disagree yet agree with that statement. Words of advice nonetheless :)

Tilt is usually used by amateurs in a feeble attempt to add some dynamism to a boring photo.

Also one other thing, does anyone think the photo is too warm? A friend of mine that shoots almost all very cool colors commented on my WB being way off.

I prefer to shoot a bit warmer but is this too much?

Also one other thing, does anyone think the photo is too warm? A friend of mine that shoots almost all very cool colors commented on my WB being way off.

I prefer to shoot a bit warmer but is this too much?

Skin tones look good to me... and I do calibrate my monitor, so they should be pretty accurate!

cgipson1 said:
Tilt is usually used by amateurs in a feeble attempt to add some dynamism to a boring photo.

Yup yup

Is someone walking through your photo in the background? There's a half face showing behind the second-from-left person's head, which "kills" this photo for me more than any tilt could do, though there's another definite "Yes!" from my side as to the "amateurish"-aspect of tilted photos. I prefer the staightened version much to the original one, as the poses are still silly enough to make this one highly informal. However I deplore the fact that with the tilt the girl's hands are cropped off. BUT with that person the the background, a re-shoot is in order, anyway!!!

Oh you're right!! I didn't even see that person somehow.. Thanks for pointing that out!

For a small room you could have bounced that flash...

texkam...... get rid of that bug, I keep trying to knock it off my screen before I realize what it is. lol

Most reactions

New Topics

Back