Chemical help

switz126

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I'm sure elements of this have been discussed before, but I'm setting up a darkroom and I need help with what chemicals to order. I'm using an old, extremely small bathroom, so there isn't very good air filtration, and I'm planning on doing black and white photography. I happen to have some small paper packets of Kodak mix at the moment (general fixer, dektol paper developer, and film developer D-76), but they won't last long, and they seem kind of old (I have no clue where they came from). So my questions are:
  • is Kodak a good brand? Should I stick with it, or would you recommend something else?
  • is it okay to use different brands of chemicals on the same paper? e.g. use kodak developer and then ilford fixer
  • are there any types that are safer for rooms with less air filtration, or does that not really matter?
Thanks to anyone who can help.

I use Rollei RPN for printing on B+W paper it's an old fashion developer but gives rich blacks which I like

I always used Kodak film developers but didn't care for D-76. I used HC-110 for Tri-X or Plus-X and TMax developer for the TMax films.

I believe all developers have volatile organic compounds in them, so small unventilated rooms are not the best, although I have used bathrooms and survived (take frequent breaks!). I don't know if some are worse than others in this regard.

Most reactions

Back