480sparky

Chief Free Electron Relocator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Website
pixels.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hanging on the wall in one of my guest bedrooms is a painting done by my Grandmother back in the 1970's.

ChetsForgottenCorral.jpg

On the back, she wrote:

Chetsforgottencornerback.jpg

Today, while scanning her slide collection, I came across this, dated June 1969:

00117.jpg

On the slide frame, the only writing is "Mo.", and I'm assuming she took the photo in the Show Me state. The slide is shown in the 'correct' orientation, and I can only surmise she reversed it to create the painting.

I know of one other painting she did using a photo she took, the slide for which I've scanned, but I don't know which family member has the painting.

I thought it was cool that 35 years later, the slide and painting are reunited.

It looks clear that the slide was the inspiration for the painting, but I prefer the composition of the painting.

It looks clear that the slide was the inspiration for the painting, but I prefer the composition of the painting.

The painting is one of a pair. I've seen a photo she took when her work was in an art show, so Chet's Forgotten Corner No. 2 exists. I have a cousin who thinks he has it, but it's buried in storage so he's not sure. No.2 could also have been sold.

As I recall, this is the 'left-hand' side of the pair.

While scanning more of her old work, I found this one:

001216.jpg

She even painted the horseshoe hanging on one of the boards.

Seems the painting was created from the reversed version of this frame. This one has the full "Missouri" spelled out on it in her handwriting.

Very, very nice work, indeed. A great find - thanks for sharing these. Hopefully, your cousin still has #2.

I couldn't help but search for "Chet's Corner" and found a tavern in Wisconsin.

Very, very nice work, indeed. A great find - thanks for sharing these. Hopefully, your cousin still has #2.

I couldn't help but search for "Chet's Corner" and found a tavern in Wisconsin.

I'm fairly certain there's no one named Chet involved with the fence.

Most reactions

Back