Chicken farming

Chickens are a riot, especially the heirloom breeds like barred rocks, leghorns, and such.

When I lived in a farmhouse in ohio we had a couple dozen running around... and they had personalities. Make sure you get a variety so you can tell em apart and give em names.

And a bucket of water under the security light will fill up with beetles overnight... and the chickens will fight over a beetle like its a damn rugby match.

Enjoy your new working girls, er I mean pets, er I mean livestock ;-)

The Colonel definitely made me laugh. This is a great portrait!

Ditto!

We kept chickens in our yard for many years - good times. You had to push "Big White" off the shovel or fork to turn over the soil & she would then pounce on any grubs or worms. As mentioned above, they do have personalities.

I grew up with banty chickens running around. Up the road, my brother and I used to collect, candle, weigh, carton, and load eggs from a small one-woman egg operation run by a very elderly lady who was just a wonderful woman. Later, in junior high I caught chickens for "transport"....whoa...awful...

Chickens are good people.

Thanks guys! spent all day today + last night working on their coop. We have a few bantam chickens, some australorps/leghorn/americanus mix, and we may pick up a few rhode island reds in the future. Keeping me busy so far but it's enjoyable work :)

I built a chicken coop when our kids were little ones, now they are past middle age. So is the coop.

$P8190002.jpg

The Colonel looks like he means business :)

love the pics. Reminds me of when we had chickens growing up. For the record, watching a teenage boy chase a rooster is hilarious... you should try it. :wink: (No roosters were hurt in the writing of this post ((or the chasing for that matter)) )

Ha, our other rooster escaped last week and all three dogs took after it (a catahoula/bull mastiff, a german shepherd/husky/wolf, and a ****zu/poodle). The ****poo caught it by the tail but the rooster managed to get free and hide in a pile of tires. It buried its head and didn't move so it was an easy catch. When I put him back in the run he hid by sticking his head into a cinder block (whole rest of his body out and visible). I picked him up and put him in the coop because it was getting to be that time, and the next morning he was good as new.

love the pics. Reminds me of when we had chickens growing up. For the record, watching a teenage boy chase a rooster is hilarious... you should try it. :wink: (No roosters were hurt in the writing of this post ((or the chasing for that matter)) )

Even more fun is watching your nephew try to ride one of your pigs.

Really nice shots of the birds OP.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back