Completely Counter-dependent
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Website
www.lewlortonphoto.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Bolivian children in a St Patrick's day parade in Washington, DC
Taken about 1:00 pm in unfortunately bright sunlight.
It's difficult to convince people to hold their parades at the very end of the day when the photography is easier.

$StPats-DC--0793125-Edit.jpg

Cute kids, I bet the costumes are very colorful. :)

They are but the immense glare of the overhead sun and the bright colors in the background made it almost impossible to fix on the faces of the children so I did a good amount of dodging and burning before the BW conversion to get this to the point where the faces ecame important.

Thanks for the look and the comment.

Lew

Good shot in the circumstances. Nicely converted IMHO.
(Pssst! If they are Bolivian, why is one wearing a sash that says "Panama"? ;) )

Good shot in the circumstances. Nicely converted IMHO.
(Pssst! If they are Bolivian, why is one wearing a sash that says "Panama"? ;) )

And why are they in the St Patrick's Day Parade?

I said 'Bolivia?' and someone in costume said yes (I think). And if you look at Gallery you'll see other dancers with the same costume.

The one girl on the right has a Bolivian flag sewn on her costume's shoulder....and yet, she has the Panama sash...ah, the mysteries of the universe!!!

Nice capture of the two kids looking at one another. The crowd in the background is all looking the other way, at the upcoming parade attractions, so they are actually pretty non-intrusive. Plus, you've burned the bkgd. down well enough that the girls come to the fore. This reminds me of a newspaper photo. The social situation is an unusual one--that of a public parade, so it makes the photo a bit unusual too. Nice grab, on the timing.

Derrel's spot on. That's the Bolivian flag, nothing like the Panama flag. Strange! The mystery adds to the photo, it could be the subject for a fascinating short story with your photo as the cover image.

Most reactions

Back