Choosing a Lens

argyle409

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
My friend is going off to college to major in photography, so graduation present I thought I'd buy her some kind of lens for her camera. I finally decided to buy her a 15mm fisheye lens and then when I was talking to her week ago and she told me her parents bought her a fisheye for her gift, fvck! So I returned the lens and now I don't know what to get her, she wants a tilt-shift lens too, but I don't have that much money to spend on her.

So what would you guys recommend me to get her since I don't know that much about lens specially since she been doing it for couple years and I got got a dslr week ago. She doesn't really do action shots more landscape and people and artsy shots, heres her flickr if that helps too recommend me a lens for her. Thanks

EDIT: Forgot to ad she has a Nikon D40 with a NIKKOR 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G ED II

Last edited:
Can you give us a list of what she has? You didnt say what camera brand either? OH, and how much you looking to spend?

updated setup

Well I was willing to spend $800 on a fisheye, however if I could keep it far under that and around $300 that would be great but I'd rather get her something that is nice then cut corners to get something for cheaper.

For 300 dollars you can spring for a new 35mm G or a 50mm 1.8D plus a circular polarizer and some lens cleaning supplies and you'll have enough for coffee, some timbits and a chat. You'll get a hug for sure.

There are a lot of options for lenses - and it might be that though she does portrate and landscape now that she would like to do something that her current lenses don't let her. Lenses are also rather personal things - does she prefer zooms or primes - or only zooms for certain things.

I would say the best way to approach this is to pick a maximum amount - phone her up and tell her she has X amount to spend on a lens either in a camera store or online - let her make the choice. Go with her to the shop/online to make the purchase, don't just hand over the money (that way you know your giving what you intend to give and not just sending over monies) and remember that she might use your monies as well as her own to help her get a more expensive lens.

That is the way I would do things - it means that you can give her a lens that you know she wants, will use and get good fun out of (and hopefully some great shots too :))

It is real easy to get wide-eyed by a fantastic zoom lens or a tack sharp wide-angle but I do believe that a photo student would be well served by a 35mm f1.8 AFS-G, and some nice and useful accessories.

The 35mm f/1.8G AF-S DX lens is an excellent choice (around $200). Add a good 52mm circular polarizing filter (up to $100), and you've spent the $300.

Another possibility might be a Tamron 90mm f/2.8 Macro or Sigma 105mm f/2.8 Macro for around $460 or the $400 Tokina 100mm f/2.8 Macro.

Last edited:
I would offer her to bring her to the local camera store and chose a lens with a max budget of $x

That way, if there is something she REALLY wants and its a bit out of budget, she can maybe spring the extra $150 she needs on top of what you are offering and be totally happy.

If she loves landscapes and street photog, I would think a wide angle is a great choice. The already mentionned Sigma 10-20 is well rating and would fit very well. I picked up a Canon 10-22 and I love the focal range for street and landscapes. A bit more than $300, but well worth it IMO

Sigma | 10-20mm f/4-5.6 EX DC HSM Autofocus Lens | 201101 | B&H

Why not say a $500 gift certificate from B&H? That way she could get what she wanted. Which to me is the easiest fix for the problem. I know I ould like that as a gift.

Why not say a $500 gift certificate from B&H? That way she could get what she wanted. Which to me is the easiest fix for the problem. I know I ould like that as a gift.

Gift certificates/cash usually lack the personal touch though. It's a much better feeling when you get something you wanted that you know you're going to use because then that thing a) reminds you of the person who gave it to you and b) lets you feel a better connection with the person who gave it to you since they obviously know you somewhat well.

Of course, I wouldn't give something that they're not going to appreciate... gift cards are better then. For older folks (i.e. not kids), in today's climate cash can often be very well received because folks need food or to pay off their debt a hell of a lot more than they need a $500 lens.

Gift certificates/cash usually lack the personal touch though. It's a much better feeling when you get something you wanted that you know you're going to use because then that thing a) reminds you of the person who gave it to you and b) lets you feel a better connection with the person who gave it to you since they obviously know you somewhat well.

Yeah thats where I'm coming from since I originally bought her the fisheye and was so stoked on giving it to her, of coarse her parents beat me the the punch so w/e. I was for a while just going to give her cash but hell she could spend it on w/e so I want her to have a lens or some kind of camera related object from me for her to know I care about what she is doing and not just that I'm willing to spend money on her since she already knows that.

I took 3 lens already into consideration due to reviews and what other people have told me to think about. The new 35mm seems to have hate on it for some reason, and the 50mm seems to be a standard for people going into photography, while the wide angle 35mm may be too much over lap with the fisheye she is getting?

Nikon 50mm F1.4 D Lens

AF-S DX NIKKOR 35mm f/1.8G

AF NIKKOR 35mm f/2D

Oh and I also considered a 55-200 since it seems like a 18-55 isn't always enough AF-S DX Zoom-NIKKOR 55-200mm f/4-5.6G ED

I really suggest the NEW 35mm:
a) it's not so expensive
b) it's really quite amazing - I've used it a fair bit
c) it has AF-S. The others, she can't use Auto Focusing with.

Most reactions

Back