Choosing A New Concert Photography Camera...

Yes.

What kind of concerts? (What kind of venue?)

Indoors, you'll probably want a few fast primes too, something like the 50mm f/1.4, or 85mm f/1.8 - depending on how close you'll be.

Yes.

Indoors, you'll probably want a few fast primes too, something like the 50mm f/1.4, or 85mm f/1.8 - depending on how close you'll be.

Primarily Hard Rock and Metal shows at indoor venues.

I already have all the needed access (the photo pit directly in front of the stage), so distance isn't really an issue. I just need a better camera.

My current situation is limited due to a lack of shutter speed.

So I am correct in understanding that this would be a 'good' upgrade?

;)

If video doesn't matter much get t1i body with a good lens. Just my 2 cents

I would add a Sigma 30 1.4 or Canon 35 1.4 to Josh's list of primes for the occasions you want a wider shot. I'm not sure I would want to rely on IS and the so-so AF performance of the kit lens. Any of these primes will AF much better in low light and get you the shutter speeds (if you bump up the ISO) you need. I am envious you have such close up access.

That kit lens is very "slow", meaning it does not allow much light to enter the camera, especially at longer lengths. The T2i and the 18-55 kit zoom would be better than your digicam, however. A lens that collects more light, like an 18-50mm f/2.8 or a 17-50 f/2.8 from SIgma or Tamron, would be my preference over the 18-55 f/3.5~5.6 kit zoom lens.

Get a t1i. Cheaper, less noise at higher ISO andyou will have money left for a better lens.

Skip the kit lens and get a wide-angle prime and a fast 50mm.

Fast lenses and the ability to observe expression and know when to capture it are far more important than the camera body. I shot concerts with a D40 for two years and got plenty of great results.

High ISO helps, but it isn't the end-game.

Last edited:
What kind of concert photography? What kind of venues? How close to the stage are you going to be?

What kind of concert photography? What kind of venues? How close to the stage are you going to be?
That's already been covered. ;)
Yes.

Primarily Hard Rock and Metal shows at indoor venues.

I already have all the needed access (the photo pit directly in front of the stage), so distance isn't really an issue. I just need a better camera.

My current situation is limited due to a lack of shutter speed.

So I am correct in understanding that this would be a 'good' upgrade?

;)

Except for the how close part. I've been in photo pits where I could reach out and smack a band member in the knee and I've also been in pits that put me about 10-15 feet back from most of the action on the stage (for those that don't like to play on the edge).

Sometimes I feel like the 17-40 I use on a full frame camera isn't wide enough.

Most reactions

Back