Choosing first

Gnarly

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I recently took a photo class in school and decided that I really liked it, It didn't really teach us much it was mostly "Go take a picture of this." but it was still fun.

Anyway I'd like to broaden my horizons and try to REALLY get into photography. I don't really know any terms or numbers of anything, completely BRAND NEW.

I'd like to get a digital camera for just about taking pictures of everything, something that if I really love doing this that I won't need to upgrade, a nice solid camera.

My budget would be around 600$ and I don't know where to start looking.

Also, if someone could explain some terms that would be fantastic.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

something that if I really love doing this that I won't need to upgrade,

welcome to utopia ;)

of course there is never a real need to upgrade (unless you earn your money with photography) ... but there is always the wish to upgrade at some point if you get deeper into photography ;)

I still feel that with a well-made compact digital camera you CAN already and really well take the first steps into photography and start learning. You need not start learning with a camera with interchangeable lenses. You may wish for such kind of camera at a certain point in time, but the new compact digital cameras can do really much. The first digital camera I ever had (and still have and still appreciate quite a bit) is the Canon Powershot A95, and it already gives you quite a bit of a choice over apertures, exposure time and focal lengths.

If you want to get into the world of SLR photography right from the start, you might want to set out with an SLR (i.e. a camera that uses film, like in "the olden days", and where there is no little screen that allows you to "chimp" immediately after you took the photo, but which would only give you some feedback a while later). That can be very interesting, too, more thrilling even, for you have that time of suspense between having taken a photo and getting to see the result, AND you can start on a budget WITH an SLR right away.

I used a Rollei 35 for many years in my life and never asked for more (but then those years were between when I as 13 and 28) ... after that I did wish for more, though.

And I started venturing into digital photography after I had worked with an SLR for many years before, so I could not let even one whole year pass before I added a DSLR to my Powershot. Now I have both. And like both. And still also like my Canon EOS 500N, which gets only a tad neglected these days :oops: ...

[ame]http://www.amazon.com/Nikon-Digital-Camera-18-55mm-3-5-5-6G/dp/B0009GZANC/sr=8-2/qid=1171263933/ref=pd_bbs_sr_2/002-6679615-5901614?ie=UTF8&s=electronics[/ame]
What about this?

fits my budget.. Could anyone tell me about this any good/bad things?

Or maybe an alternative?

Most reactions

New Topics

Back