Choosing my next lense

tmartin2347

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I bought my first DSLR which is a Canon rebel xsi, a year ago which had a 18-55mm zoom lense that came in the package.
Well I'm looking for another lense that has better zoom features, I'm mostly into scenic photography.
Anyone have some good ideas? I'm trying to stay below $350 buuuut that can always stretch some : )

The 18-55mm is a good range to have, maybe try a macro lens, a different approach to your scenic photography. Also don't be afraid of used, be cautious, but and good way to go. Also maybe a fish-eye, or a lens baby.

My advice would by the 50mm f/1.4 you couldn't go wrong with that!

Don't take it the wrong way, but the word is spelled "lens."

er~you can visit this ,maybe it will give your some help

FYI. You are promoting a NEGATIVE image of your company. I saw few posts that you submit recently .... all of them just telling people to visit your link without offering any advice ... That's no difference from spam.

For scenic photography the lens you have has very good range. What you failed to mention is why the current lens is not up to the task? Do you want to go wider, or longer? Is it too slow and you want a faster lens? If you want to go wider the Sigma 10-20 is only about $100-150 more than your current budget. I have a Tokina 11-16 which I really like but its about $250 more than your current budget. Stay away from the lens adapters even though they are cheap, they are actually worth less! If you want to go longer, in your price range there are several basic zooms available with longer range. They are basic zooms comparable quality with the kit lens. They have limitations but do take very decent pictures.

And now for the add in the middle of the post:

I have to agree with the other replies on the link to the supporting vendors site.
It would be one thing to give a couple comments about what to get or what is available in that price range. Quite a few people link to sites all the time on here. Useually along with some sort of advice though.

But to just link to a sales site with no comments at all. Thats spamming. Maybe being a Supporting Vendor that is considered ok by the site operator. Help paying the bills. But just seems like having a very bad commercial right in some of the posts. It seems to be poor judgment to me. But what do I know, I am not a supporting member.

^^ Actually you are a supporting member since you support this site by contributing your knowledge here. :)

^^ Actually you are a supporting member since you support this site by contributing your knowledge here. :)

Well I am guessing a supporting vendor pays about $.00001 per click on the site. That would mean they are $.00001 more important to the site operator than I am. :lol:

So, going by that. My advice is worth less than $.00001. :greenpbl:

For scenic photography the lens you have has very good range. What you failed to mention is why the current lens is not up to the task? Do you want to go wider, or longer? Is it too slow and you want a faster lens? If you want to go wider the Sigma 10-20 is only about $100-150 more than your current budget. I have a Tokina 11-16 which I really like but its about $250 more than your current budget. Stay away from the lens adapters even though they are cheap, they are actually worth less! If you want to go longer, in your price range there are several basic zooms available with longer range. They are basic zooms comparable quality with the kit lens. They have limitations but do take very decent pictures.

Sorry for the lack of information, I'm still pretty new to photography. I'm looking for a longer zoom and certainly in the future may look into wide lens shots.
But my main goal is just a longer lense, maybe like a 55-200mm or around there.

The Canon 55-250 IS is under your budget ($225-255). Matter of fact if you don't already have one. Could get a decent tripod and head as well for maybe just a little bit more than the $350 deppending on where you shop.

Of course there are better lenses available but they are at least twice your budget (for third party lens like Sigma, Tamorn). The 55-250 IS is a basic lens but its on par with your current lens quality wise.

Sorry for the lack of information, I'm still pretty new to photography. I'm looking for a longer zoom and certainly in the future may look into wide lens shots.

benhasajeep offers a good alternative in your price range.

I am going to make a different suggestion for your consideration. Wait a while, practice more and learn to get everything you can from the lens you have. Once you fully understand what you can and can not do with your equipment you will be in a better position to decide what you need next. You can also be saving additional money to budget for better glass.

The 70-200 range is a very common zoom to find in most photographers bag. Canon makes 4. None in your price range. However the 70-200 f4 is a fantastic piece of glass in this range and the cheapest of the 4. It has some distinct advantages. It is a constant f4 at 70mm or 200mm. It is a Canon L lens with the construction and quality of Canon's top line lenses. Image quality is very sharp in this lens for a zoom. It is a lens that can last you a lifetime. Granted it is almost double what your budget is now, but it is a lens that taken care of will give you years of service.

Just my 2cents.

benhasajeep offers a good alternative in your price range.

I am going to make a different suggestion for your consideration. Wait a while, practice more and learn to get everything you can from the lens you have. Once you fully understand what you can and can not do with your equipment you will be in a better position to decide what you need next. You can also be saving additional money to budget for better glass.

The 70-200 range is a very common zoom to find in most photographers bag. Canon makes 4. None in your price range. However the 70-200 f4 is a fantastic piece of glass in this range and the cheapest of the 4. It has some distinct advantages. It is a constant f4 at 70mm or 200mm. It is a Canon L lens with the construction and quality of Canon's top line lenses. Image quality is very sharp in this lens for a zoom. It is a lens that can last you a lifetime. Granted it is almost double what your budget is now, but it is a lens that taken care of will give you years of service.

Just my 2cents.

Before I read that I was ready to just go out and buy a new lens, but that makes a lot of sense.
Thanks, now I'll start to set money aside each week and practice with my lens I have now.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back