Choosing my next lense

Sorry for the lack of information, I'm still pretty new to photography. I'm looking for a longer zoom and certainly in the future may look into wide lens shots.
But my main goal is just a longer lense, maybe like a 55-200mm or around there.
benhasajeep offers a good alternative in your price range.

I am going to make a different suggestion for your consideration. Wait a while, practice more and learn to get everything you can from the lens you have. Once you fully understand what you can and can not do with your equipment you will be in a better position to decide what you need next. You can also be saving additional money to budget for better glass.

The 70-200 range is a very common zoom to find in most photographers bag. Canon makes 4. None in your price range. However the 70-200 f4 is a fantastic piece of glass in this range and the cheapest of the 4. It has some distinct advantages. It is a constant f4 at 70mm or 200mm. It is a Canon L lens with the construction and quality of Canon's top line lenses. Image quality is very sharp in this lens for a zoom. It is a lens that can last you a lifetime. Granted it is almost double what your budget is now, but it is a lens that taken care of will give you years of service.

Just my 2cents.

Before I read that I was ready to just go out and buy a new lens, but that makes a lot of sense.
Thanks, now I'll start to set money aside each week and practice with my lens I have now.

Glad to hear it. When you are looking at that next lens I anticipate that your future post on the subject will probably be something along the line of:

"I have decided my next lens is going to be a **** lens. I am considering the **** the **** and the *****. Those of you that have experience with any of these lenses could you please advise me of the good and bad point to these lenses to help me in my decision."

There are a lot of good people on the forum with a lot of experience with different pieces of gear that can offer observations on the particular pieces you have select as being of interest for you. You will have picked the type of lens base on your knowledge and understood needs. Good luck.

Don't take it the wrong way, but the word is spelled "lens."
Don't take it wrong, but that is not correct information.

Either spelling is correct. They are synonyms of each other.

From dictionary.com:

lense
noun - A transparent optical device used to converge or diverge transmitted light and to form images [syn: lens]

From dictionary.com:

lense
noun - A transparent optical device used to converge or diverge transmitted light and to form images [syn: lens]

But in Webster's it's lens. It seems the lense is an accepted spelling of lens based on enough retards that couldn't comprehend that you really don't an "E" added to the end of everything, even if you're not from olde Englande.

It is because English language is one of the tool for people communicate and it is still "alive". When a lot of people spell lens as lense and most of the people know what that means, dictionary will add that word.

It is no difference from adding a new word to the dictionary such as "defriend". When a person create a word and use it. Later on it is widely accepted and used. Or, a person miss-spell a word and use it and later on the miss-spelled word is widely accepted and used. They may end up in the dictionary.

I bought my first DSLR which is a Canon rebel xsi, a year ago which had a 18-55mm zoom lense that came in the package.

I had an XSi for about 8 months until Canon came out with the video capable T1i. Upgrading from the original 300D I found the XSi to be an excellent "carry around" camera and the 18-55mm "kit" lens that came with it was an improvement in sharpness over the older version of that same lens I had with the 300D.

You've got a great camera for learning photography with. As a few others have said the lens you have is very workable, giving you a range from "workhorse" wideangle (equivalent of full frame 28mm) which will give you usable wide angle shots with minimal distortion out to a very moderate telephoto which is a very useful portrait length perspective.

That will be an excellent general purpose lens but it will require a good amount of light to do it's best.

If you're going to be doing any wildlife where more telephoto is needed, the EF-S 55-250mm lens mentioned by someone is a good choice. Fairly lightweight it picks up where your "kit" lens leaves off and while part of Canon's economy line is still a good lens.

The advice to consider a good tripod is worth a lot. Many shots are not as crisp as they could be because the camera was not held quite still enough. A reasonably sturdy tripod makes a big difference.

If you can stretch your budget, or save up a bit longer, I would definitely go for the 70-200 4L. I would also check to see if you can buy one used, just make sure its from a reputable source. I bought mine used off of Adorama for about $475, and it has been my go to lens for a bulk of my travel photography. I carry 3 lenses when I go traveling/hiking (Sigma 10-20mm (wide angle fun), 50 1.8 (low light and portraiture) and my 70-200 4L (Great telephoto, not too heavy and great sharpness and contrast)).

I hope this helped,
Steve

It is because English language is one of the tool for people communicate and it is still "alive". When a lot of people spell lens as lense and most of the people know what that means, dictionary will add that word.

It is no difference from adding a new word to the dictionary such as "defriend". When a person create a word and use it. Later on it is widely accepted and used. Or, a person miss-spell a word and use it and later on the miss-spelled word is widely accepted and used. They may end up in the dictionary.

Eventually U & R will be acceptable spellings of you and are. I <3 stoopidity makes it right.

From dictionary.com:

lense

As long as nobody's taking anything the wrong way, I find that dictionary.com is an unreliable dictionary at best. It has some vague, incomplete, or blatently incorrect definitions. It is "published" by ask.com, and I find that ask.com is more interested in getting clicks than giving correct, detailed information. Merriam-Webster does not recognize the word "lense."

Btw, why did you thank my first post, then contradict it later?

WOW!

Well thanks for everyones input, much appreciated.

As far as the whole spelling situation here, just let it go. Don't get all worked up over something like that, taking pictures doesn't require correct spelling or grammar.:mrgreen:

WOW!

Well thanks for everyones input, much appreciated.

As far as the whole spelling situation here, just let it go. Don't get all worked up over something like that, taking pictures doesn't require correct spelling or grammar.:mrgreen:

But communicating with people over a medium that requires proper spelling and grammar does.

Most reactions

Back