Choppy video with DSLR

Bedo

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
My videos recorded using DSLR are choppy when I right/left move the camera on a tripod (also a Manfrotto fluid Video Head 500AH).

This is a sample:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/ck02kke66d5musf/video_pan.zip

The sample has been recorded using a Nikon D4. I have the same problem with a Nikon D7000.

It looks like the image is... I don't know... flickering, flashing on the screen.

It happens always, even on sunlight.

I am able to reduce the problem, recording at 720p 30fps.

At 1024p 24fps the result is awful. Same at 25fps. 1024p 30fps is still bad.

I always use as shutter speed the double of the fps: 1/60 for 30fps and 1/50 for 24fps or 25fps.

I am sure this is not a playback problem because I tried to watch the video both on my desktop PC (i7, GeForce 570, 6GB Ram, SSD) and on my notebook (MacBook Air 13').

So my questions are:

1) Should I pan slower?

2) Have you ever encountered similar problems?

3) Please could you try to upload a small unedited 24fps 1080 pan video recorded with your DSLR?

Rolling shutter - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

While some CMOS sensors use a global shutter, the majority found in the consumer market utilize a rolling shutter.

I don't know if the D4 uses a rolling shutter or a global shutter when doing video.
It doesn't say in the specifications, but the D4 has a CMOS image sensor.

Last edited:
I don't think this is a Rolling Shutter problem...

Hi Alberto - don't know if you saw my post over at Creative COW, but I downloaded the clip and, although it is choppy in Quicktime, it is perfectly smooth in Windows Media Player. I think your problem is with your render and not with your camera.

What format did you render to? At what bit rate?

Cheers,

Bill

Hi, thank you!

Yes I saw your post but the video is not rendered. It is as it was on the CF...

Try to make a rapid pan with your DSLR and an image with a lot of details... you should see the same problem

My videos recorded using DSLR are choppy when I right/left move the camera on a tripod (also a Manfrotto fluid Video Head 500AH).

This is a sample:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/ck02kke66d5musf/video_pan.zip

The sample has been recorded using a Nikon D4. I have the same problem with a Nikon D7000.

It looks like the image is... I don't know... flickering, flashing on the screen.

It happens always, even on sunlight.

I am able to reduce the problem, recording at 720p 30fps.

At 1024p 24fps the result is awful. Same at 25fps. 1024p 30fps is still bad.

I always use as shutter speed the double of the fps: 1/60 for 30fps and 1/50 for 24fps or 25fps.

I am sure this is not a playback problem because I tried to watch the video both on my desktop PC (i7, GeForce 570, 6GB Ram, SSD) and on my notebook (MacBook Air 13').

So my questions are:

1) Should I pan slower?

2) Have you ever encountered similar problems?

3) Please could you try to upload a small unedited 24fps 1080 pan video recorded with your DSLR?

Im having the same problem. Pans across beautiful marinas or seascapes are really unattractive from my 60D. I've tried all the solutions suggested here, but my footage looks like Bedo's file linked to above. Would really appreciate some help!

Most reactions

Back