Christmas Dinner....who's cooking?

My mum is making Christmas dinner, but I usually give her a hand with that when we are down. Roast turkey, brussel sprouts with chestunts and bacon, chipolatas, carrots with sesame seeds and the crowning glory: goose fat roast potatoes are normally on the menu.

On boxing day we are all returning again for leftovers and bringing a few dishes. I'm going to make cassiolet (final version yet to be decided but probably duck, bacon and some beef or lamb) and then a panetoni bread and butter pudding.
I can bring a ton of vino ... when is dinner?

I think we are having Dearborn Honey Baked Ham at my families along with celery/cream cheese, shrimp cocktail, cheese/crackers, dysfunction, and a quick exit. Inlaws on Christmas Eve, lasagna, cheeses, no dysfunction, long boring stay....

My sister and I are putting together Christmas dinner for 3, us 2 and her husband.
The rest of my family here in Iowa have gone to Arizona for Christmas.

I'm providing a honey cured ham, homemade mashed potatoes and gravy, vanilla ice cream.
She's preparing store bought rolls, broccoli & cauliflower, store bought pie.

Last edited:
Well, I must say thanks a lot for the suggestions would look into one which will work best :)

Christmas Eve will be spent at my parents-in-law's home and we'll have something simple like sausages and potato salad, which is what lots of people eat here in Bavaria on Heiligabend. Christmas Day is at home and my wife will be cooking pork medallions with a roasted chestnut mantle to be served with potato dumplings. On Boxing Day we'll be eating salmon steaks with a dill sauce, boiled potatoes and sides.

Forget the presents, it's the calories that make Christmas what it is!

Actually, I forgot all about it . . . MLW ordered a smoked ham and some smoked brisket; we picked it up last night. The lazy one is staying in Portland until at least next weekend, so it will be quiet, here.

Christmas Eve will be spent at my parents-in-law's home and we'll have something simple like sausages and potato salad, which is what lots of people eat here in Bavaria on Heiligabend. Christmas Day is at home and my wife will be cooking pork medallions with a roasted chestnut mantle to be served with potato dumplings. On Boxing Day we'll be eating salmon steaks with a dill sauce, boiled potatoes and sides.

Yesterday we made a run to Costco ... so ham it is to go with the tamales. I decided to bake up some bread stuffed with herbs and peppers from the back. We have a ton of oranges, (Valencia, Naval and Mandarin), lemons (Meyer) and limes (Mexican) ... a few lingering persimmons and pomegranates ... maybe some type citrus fruit bread if there is such a thing ... we'll see what google says about the matter.

Californian wine? What time can you get here?

Californian wine? What time can you get here?
Nothing but the best. :cool-48:
_GP16309-X2.jpg

I can leave now ....

The guests start arriving today from out of town. Serving steak Sunday night and I will have salmon. Monday cooking a turkey breast, ham & cold shrimp for lunch. I gave up red meat over a year ago which means some nights I am cooking two meals. I do not pass up bacon as garnish :) A few months ago I tried a bite of my husband's steak and could not eat it. I think I may have lost the taste for it. The texture seemed foreign. I did joke at Thanksgiving to enjoy the turkey because by next year I may serve tofu.

Yesterday we made a run to Costco ... so ham it is to go with the tamales. I decided to bake up some bread stuffed with herbs and peppers from the back. We have a ton of oranges, (Valencia, Naval and Mandarin), lemons (Meyer) and limes (Mexican) ... a few lingering persimmons and pomegranates ... maybe some type citrus fruit bread if there is such a thing ... we'll see what google says about the matter.

Saw a great cooking method for a spiral ham the other day. In a crockpot put 1 cup brown sugar, put in ham upside down, make sure slices are fanned a bit to open, add can of unsweetened pineapple chunks, drizzle honey over the top of ham, add another cup of brow sugar to cover surface of ham, cook (really you’re just reheating) on low 4.5 hours. I’m definitely trying this cooking method the next time we make a ham. Frees up the oven and looks nice and juicy.

I didn't do the cooking, and had cheese ball and crackers, then ham, green beans, rolls, and some style of potatoes that I can't remember what they're called or know how to make them. Which is probably why I didn't do the cooking.

And had Christmas cookies.

I didn't cook either. I loaded the car. Ate a little bit of everything but didn't fill up at all. No sweets other than a small piece of cheese cake. The wife made me ham and eggs when we finally got home. The shrimp at my moms was nasty, horrible. I had to tell her because I think it was bad, it ruined my appetite actually. Ham was dryer than a popcorn fart.

I didn't do the cooking, and had cheese ball and crackers, then ham, green beans, rolls, and some style of potatoes that I can't remember what they're called or know how to make them. Which is probably why I didn't do the cooking.

And had Christmas cookies.
I hope no pots or pans required washing after the cooking.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back