Christmas Dinner....who's cooking?

Hello Mates,
My good suggestions for vegetarians which can be cooked for Christmas?
Depends on what you're looking for. Plates of roasted vegetables stink, but that's all that restaurants think of vegetarians. That and black bean veggie burgers.

One option that my wife makes is rice-stuffed acorn squash. It is delectable. In addition, I would suggest a variety of sides, as well as a good salad. Other main course options include quinoa, rice, beans, lentils, orzo, etc.

Properly cooked tofu is another option, but that definitely depends on the recipe and willingness to cook with tofu.

Pasta is one option, but I'm not a fan of pasta on holidays, unless it's something a little different.

If you like the fake/faux meats, there are a good variety to choose from that can be a main protein source, if you're not doing legumes.

Also, don't pass up a good, hearty soup. There are a lot of butternut squash soups around at this time of year. Very delicious with some pine nuts or pumpkin seeds.

All of this - well, except the no pasta on holidays :) A good veggie lasagne would be perfect. be sure to add mushrooms and broccoli to the veggie mix - they are good sources of vegetable protein.

Properly cooked tofu is another option

Sorry but there is no way to fix tofu that doesn't make me green.

Now you know how I feel about a lot of meat dishes.

properly prepared tofu can pass as vegetables,

Love vegetables, beef, pork, chicken and seafood. Not much in the way of food that I don't care for, which us why I don't need to find a substitute for the real things. Maybe it has to do with my earlier years when I found out how Chicken McNuggets were actually made:aiwebs_016:

Tofu isn't a substitute for "real things". It's a real food all by itself. I don't eat tofu because I really wish I could be eating actual beef but am settling for "fake" beef. I eat tofu because I feel like eating it. It takes on flavors very well and is very versatile. I also like it plain, just toasted with a spritz of olive oil and a little bit of salt and pepper.

I understand that there are a lot of products that mimic the texture and taste of animal products, and that leads people to think that anyone who is a vegetarian is "settling" for "fake" food. "Why eat a fake burger when you can eat the real thing?"

There might be a few people out there who follow a vegetarian diet because it's trendy, and they might secretly wish they were eating a beef or chicken product, but it would be erroneous thinking to believe that most vegetarians think this way. Sometimes we just want a little variety, so we eat tofu, we eat legumes and grains, and sometimes, we pick up a box of Boca burgers or Morningstar veggie sausages. That doesn't mean we're eating fake food, or choosing it because we want "real" sausage. Vegetarian food is real food, both the products that mimic animal-based foods and those that don't.

What? No Peking Duck? How can there be a "Christmas Story", without Peking Duck:biggrin-93:
It's not officially Christmas until 'A Christmas Story' has been on!

Meh. Was never really a fan of that movie. I found it to be a bit too...shrill. Our family Christmas movie was "Holiday Inn" with Bing Crosby and Fred Astaire.

What? No Peking Duck? How can there be a "Christmas Story", without Peking Duck:biggrin-93:
It's not officially Christmas until 'A Christmas Story' has been on!

Meh. Was never really a fan of that movie. I found it to be a bit too...shrill. Our family Christmas movie was "Holiday Inn" with Bing Crosby and Fred Astaire.
The wife and I love Holiday Inn so much! Except for that one scene... ugh, *facepalm*. You know which one I'm talking about.

@limr being completely omnivorous I can be just as happy with a vegetable plate as I can with steak, and hold nothing against those who want to follow a vegetarian diet, but as to tofu - tried it, don't like it end of story for me.

The wife and I love Holiday Inn so much! Except for that one scene... ugh, *facepalm*. You know which one I'm talking about.

Yup, I so know which scene you're talking about. Oy.

@limr being completely omnivorous I can be just as happy with a vegetable plate as I can with steak, and hold nothing against those who want to follow a vegetarian diet, but as to tofu - tried it, don't like it end of story for me.

That's fine, and I'm not saying you should like it or try it again. Just objecting to the idea that it's merely a substitute for "real" food. Unless it's a hologram, it's ALL real food.

That's fine, and I'm not saying you should like it or try it again. Just objecting to the idea that it's merely a substitute for "real" food. Unless it's a hologram, it's ALL real food.

Potato, potatoe - you do realize the soybean is the most genetically modified grain on the market today. 100% of our crop this year was GMO soybean seed.

Last edited:

Potato, potatoe - you do realize the soybean is the most genetically modified grain on the market today. 100% of our crop this year was GMO soybean seed.

Putting aside the fact that there's no solid scientific evidence that proves definitively that GMO products are harmful, and also ignoring the fact that a lot of meat that makes it to people's plate was once an animal fed a GMO diet (does that make the meat 'fake'?)...the soybean being genetically-modified does not negate its status as "food." It is still a bean (not a grain) that is edible and which gives nutrition and sustenance to those who eat. That's what we call just plain old "food." Not 'real food' or 'fake food.' Just 'food.'

But this whole point is moot because you don't care what people eat, no?

Dogs are genetically modified.

@limr you are correct in assuming that I really don't care what you eat or don't eat. That said how about we agree to disagree on the merits of tofu so as to not hijack an otherwise interesting thread.

My mum is making Christmas dinner, but I usually give her a hand with that when we are down. Roast turkey, brussel sprouts with chestunts and bacon, chipolatas, carrots with sesame seeds and the crowning glory: goose fat roast potatoes are normally on the menu.

On boxing day we are all returning again for leftovers and bringing a few dishes. I'm going to make cassiolet (final version yet to be decided but probably duck, bacon and some beef or lamb) and then a panetoni bread and butter pudding.

Wife has already made up around 100 tamales, they are in the freezer to be cooked on Sunday. Now have the hind quarter of a pig marinating. Our daughter will be bringing over the vegetable dishes. I'm just going to make up some crackers and cookies whenever there is an opening in the kitchen.

Wife has already made up around 100 tamales, they are in the freezer to be cooked on Sunday. Now have the hind quarter of a pig marinating. Our daughter will be bringing over the vegetable dishes. I'm just going to make up some crackers and cookies whenever there is an opening in the kitchen.
I can bring a ton of vino ... when is dinner?

Most reactions

Back